Ebay seller refusing refund

Options
I brought a heater on ebay arrived all good then after 3rd use plug started smoking and the adapter they sold with the product had melted my plug socket. Seller refusing refund as I've had product 2 weeks and not responding. I've tried starting a return but not not far. I am sure I'm within my rights to ask for a full refund but they are refusing. So stressed out

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Open an eBay dispute if you have not done so already
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • GolfWidow75
    Options
    I have but the seller is telling me that I need to go to the manufacturer? 
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was it a private seller, or a company? 
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could you post a link to the Ebay item.
    From what you've described, it sounds like the heater didn't come with a UK plug fitted and if this is the case and it was a business seller, I'm pretty sure that they were breaking the law.

• meraaakauser
    Options
    If you paid by paypal, you can open up a dispute and get your money back 
  • GolfWidow75
    Options
    Was it a private seller, or a company? 
    I'm not sure they had lots of them in stock, and it didn't mention not an English plug 
  • timmy963
    timmy963 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 July 2020 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Did it come with one of these small adaptors by any chance?

I bought a solder fume extractor on Amazon and it came with an EU plug and one of these stupid adaptors. If I didn't cut the end off and fit a UK plug on the end, my product would not have been earthed or fused.

There are no shutters on the adaptors and you can do what I show in my images which you my risk an electric shock.

Like Shaun said, if this is what they are doing then they are breaking the law.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,298 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have but the seller is telling me that I need to go to the manufacturer? 
    Did you open a change of mind return or a SNAD return? if you opened a change of mind return then a business seller must accept the return but you would be expected to pay return postage. If you opened an SNAD seller can not refuse the return and needs to supply a return label. If the SNAD case is open But seller refuses to supply a return label just escalate it at the date shown and eBay should find in your favour and force a refund anyway. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,780 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I brought a heater on ebay arrived all good then after 3rd use plug started smoking and the adapter they sold with the product had melted my plug socket. Seller refusing refund as I've had product 2 weeks and not responding. I've tried starting a return but not not far. I am sure I'm within my rights to ask for a full refund but they are refusing. So stressed out
    If something I bought arrived without a UK plug I would have returned it straight away as its just dodgy to start with.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If this was a 2-3KW Heater the adaptor would have to be rated for a minimum of a continuous 10-13 Amps.  Many cheap adapters would stand no chance of achieving this safely and the adapter heating up as a result is probably what damaged your plug, not to mention the earthing and other issues which timmy963 mentioned above. 

Is the adapter still readable? If so, are there any ratings written on it? 
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure