Remortgaging 2.5 years into a five year deal. Possible? Worth it?

Options
I suspect the answer to my question is going to be "no" but I thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway.
About two and a half years ago we bought our first property with a five-year fixed rate, 25-year mortgage from Nationwide at 2.19% interest and an LTV of 15%. Given that interest rates have continued to go down, I checked what I could get if I were to get a mortgage today assuming that:
- Value of the property is unchanged -  I think it's a reasonable assumption as we bought from a "motivated seller" so already got ca. 12% discount vs. the original selling price and we've made some improvements, so that probably evens out the consequences of the current crisis. For reference, a flat sold by the same seller around the same time as ours is currently on the market for ca. 20% above the original selling price.
- We have some savings and could make a down payment to take the LTV to 30% (current balance is just over 20% LTV)
-We'd be happy to slightly decrease the term of the mortgage to 20 years
For a 20-year, five-year fixed rate at 30% LTV Nationwide is offering an interest rate of 1.49% and monthly payments would actually be ca. 10% lower than what we're paying at present. 
I suspect changing banks would not be worth it as we'd have to pay the prepayment penalty (3% until April next year, then 2% and 1% a year after that) in addition to the set-up fees, which would kill any interest rate savings. However, is there any chance that Nationwide might engage in the remortgaging in these terms, maybe just charging the set-up fees?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Rather than suffer a 3% ERC. Make overpayments to the mortgage within permissable limits. That's if the amount you are earning on your savings is less than the mortgage rate. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Have you got all your numbers backwards as its very confusing to me.   A LTV of 15% would imply a 85% deposit.   

• penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nationwide would still charge the 3% ERC and the mortgage fee.
    Wouldn't be worth it. You picked to fix for too long to begin with.
  • chssvl
    chssvl Posts: 31 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, sorry! It's the other way around. Initial LTV was 85%, currently at just under 80% and can do downpayment to 70%. Was thinking about the deposit...
    And ys, have thought about making overpayments (especially since savings interest rates are nothing at present), but was thinking more about getting a lower rate and also securing it, especially given the lingering risk of increased inflation and increase in interest rates by the time the current five-year temr expires
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I doubt interest will move with any significance in 2.5 years, the country will take longer than that to get back to "normal".
    Just save the money or make overpayments to your mortgage and fix it again when the time comes.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Pay 3% + fees  now to save 0.71% on a 12.5% smaller amount.(maybe less if you have some ERC free overpayment room)

You cannot recover the costs over 2.5 years
  • chssvl
    chssvl Posts: 31 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. I guess that's confirmation. My hope was that Nationwide could be receptive to changing the mortgage and, therefore, avoid the ERC. Thanks everyone!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anything but.
    They may even refuse to give you a new mortgage at the rates you see advertised.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback