Deposit in Full When Applying for Mortgage?

Hi,
I've recently had an offer on a house accepted as a first time buyer. For references sake, I am putting a £25k deposit down for the house at £250k, and requesting the mortgage of £225k. The concern I have is that I am two paydays (6 weeks) away from having this total £25k, and I currently have only £21k in my savings. Would I have to wait until all the money is in my account before applying for the mortgage, or can I use my past statements to show that this is possible? 

Comments

• GoingOn30
    GoingOn30 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's not sensible to be buying a house with zero money left in your account after paying the mortgage deposit. Do you have money set aside for survey, moving costs and solicitors fees? If you're a significant amount off having the deposit ready then I'd wait at least 1 more pay day before putting an application in. 
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    This varies from lender to lender.
    Some want proof of deposit upfront. Others leave it to the solicitor to obtain later so that would suit you best.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback