New Post Advanced Search

Cheapest gaming

6 replies 130 views
stphnsteveystphnstevey Forumite
3.2K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
Currently have a PS4 and buying games on sale, roughly spending about £4/month on average on games during the year and have about 20 games backlog
Now that I have a PS4, PS NOW seems to be a good deal at £50/yr or £4/month and access to around 800 games PS4, PS3 and PS2
I prefer PS NOW to PS+ as it gives access to wide selection of games immediately and not have to build up a collection via 2 games each month
I believe the Xbox version is still in beta
Google Stadia at £9/month seems double the price of PS NOW and again, only gives free games monthly
Nvidia has a subscription based gaming system, but it seems game company licencing is an issue and some are pulling out
I would consider PC gaming, but the initial cost of £800+ puts me off
Happy for any guidance?

Replies

• jonnygee2jonnygee2 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    A lot depends on what you want to play.

PS Now doesn't seem great to me. A lot of the games are PS3 games, you can buy a PS3 and second hand games pretty cheap if that's what you want to play. There isn't a lot of choice for decent PS4 games on it. It might provide a good addition to your library but I don't think it's likely to be all you want / need.

Stadia works out at pretty expensive to buy a lot of the games. You don't get sales like you do with PC, so you actually have to pay the ridiculous rack rates of £50 or so for a triple A game or whatever it is.

Long term I think PC gaming can be cheaper if you play a lot of different games, because you can build a library of games without worrying about 'backwards compatibility', and you have far more choice of independent games, older games, and different store sales. I think that's why a lot of serial long term gamers prefer PC, but as you say, there is a base platform cost. If you spend £800 (a decent but budget gaming PC) every 5 years, that's £160 /yr just for the system. Great if you are saving more than this, but if you are only buying a few games a year or so it's too much.

Overall, I'd say lower volume gamers, who want a good selection of AAA games available, should always go for a console and buy the disks they want. Which console depends on your games preference really.  And people who want to play as many games as possible, including older or independent games, in the long term should go PC. 

Really budget gamers should probably build a very basic PC for £400 or so and then just stick to old games that will run on it. 

• gzoomgzoom Forumite
    425 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Stadia currently has a 'free' trial going, took me 1 minute to sign up and last few days been enjoying Destiny 2 and Grid for £0 spent on hardware or software.

I was worried about lag but as you can see even on my 2013 laptop using my Xbox controller in mutliplayer there is no lag!!

I don't have much time for games these days, Destiny 2 (+ add ons) looks so massive I recon it'll keep me busy for a long while, and if Google bundles in a few good 'free' games with the £8.99/month in the coming months am sold.

This is my current list of 'free' games in Stadia at present, I doubt I'll get through them for a while :).

• edited 7 July at 10:36AM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 July at 10:36AM
    Xbox have Xbox Live which gives you 4 games free a month or you can upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate and you get access to over 100 games but what I'm not a fan off is games you have started could get removed from the store at some point.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    39.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently have a PS4 and buying games on sale, roughly spending about £4/month on average on games during the year and have about 20 games backlog
    Now that I have a PS4, PS NOW seems to be a good deal at £50/yr or £4/month and access to around 800 games PS4, PS3 and PS2
    I prefer PS NOW to PS+ as it gives access to wide selection of games immediately and not have to build up a collection via 2 games each month
    Google Stadia at £9/month seems double the price of PS NOW and again, only gives free games monthly
    Nvidia has a subscription based gaming system, but it seems game company licencing is an issue and some are pulling out
    Happy for any guidance?
    Xbox Version of what sorry ?
    Do you mean Game Pass Ultimate

• stphnsteveystphnstevey Forumite
    3.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    DCFC79 said:
    Happy for any guidance?
    Xbox Version of what sorry ?
    Do you mean Game Pass Ultimate

This https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-game-streaming
  • edited 10 July at 1:56PM
    MinuteNoodlesMinuteNoodles Forumite
    893 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10 July at 1:56PM
    If you want the cheapest gaming get an Xbox.
    Xbox have the Gamepass which is their equivalent to PS Now however it has all their first party titles, including their AAA ones in it at launch (Gears 5 was actually on Gamepass a week before launch), PS Now is woeful in comparison. They have Gamepass Ultimate for £10.99 a month which rolls into one XBox Live and Gamepass so like having PS Plus and PS Now in a single subscription.
    So why is Xbox cheaper? One thing that Microsoft also do is the Rewards program where you can earn points for spending in the online store when you buy games/films or rent films, doing things like searches in Bing, mobile searches, clicking on a few things on the Rewards page and for just playing games on your console. You can convert those points to either vouchers but more importantly you can convert them to Gamepass or Gamepass Ultimate subscriptions. It's quite feasible to earn enough points that you never have to pay for GPU ever again so you can have Xbox Live, Gamepass and it's hundreds of games including their AAA first party titles on launch day plus fairly recent genre leading games from other developers such as Dirt Rally 2.0 for £0.
    And it gets better. Most of their AAA titles and some of the others are "Play Anywhere" titles meaning you can also play them FOR FREE on a PC too. Gears 5, Forza, Halo etc all free on your PC too whilst you have an active Gamepass/GPU subscription.
    (I've just read that and realised just how much it sounds like an advertisement...sorry.)
    If you don't have an Xbox One X and the money to buy one Microsoft do a programme, Xbox All Access which will be launching in the UK on 5th November where for a monthly fee you can buy an Xbox One S or X complete with Gamepass Ultimate subscription and upgrade to the Series X when it's released. From their site:
    "Xbox All Access lets people pay for Xbox consoles over 24 months, with no upfront cost. For a limited time, anyone purchasing an Xbox One X console in this way before December 31, 2019, will have the option to upgrade to Project Scarlett when it officially launches in Holiday 2020. "  ....Xbox One X and GPU will be a combined £24.99 a month - GPU is £10.99/m so over the 24 months you're essentially getting a One X for £240 at 0% interest finance on the console.
    And best part about it is you can pay for that or some of it using the points you've earned from the Microsoft Rewards scheme.