Cabot threatening a 'legal review'?

Options
My debt to Cabot is unenforceable (they acknowledged this fact) but since then (2/3 months ago) they have sent me countless letters & emails wanting me to set up a new payment plan (I am not doing this). Today I have had an email 'threatening' me with a 'legal review' if I don't 'get back on track'. What does this mean please? Can I stop them communicating with me?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 July 2020 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Cabots last stand, ironic isn`t it, that they are threatening legal action on an unenforcable debt, you could not make it up could you.
    The emails are just the same as their letters, a long list of standard templates that they send out to people on an ad hoc basis.
    Phone calls, emails, can all be ignored, as they are not a legal means of comunicating notice of legal action, that must be done in writing, by post.

They won`t/can`t take legal action anyway, thats why the emails have no meaning to you, i would write to Cabot, stating the debt is unenforcable, i am not going to pay it, and as far as i am concerned the matter is now closed, and no further correspondance will be entered into.
    That should make them turn their attentions else where, you can block the phone numbers, and the email address, quite easily.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Galloglass
    Galloglass Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Is it actually Cabot or someone working for Cabot? 

If it is Cabot themselves, is there a name on the letter?
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's
    • When on someone else's be it a road, a pavement, a right of way or a property there are rules. Don't assume there are none.
    • "Free parking" doesn't mean free of rules. Check the rules and if you don't like them, go elsewhere
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's and their rules apply.
    Just visiting - back in 2025
  • leninspot
    leninspot Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's cabot themselves
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's a meaningless phrase designed to scare you in to paying.
  • leninspot
    Options
    That's what I figured but needed to be sure. I'm going to block their emails & do as Sourcrates suggests & write to them saying not paying etc. 
  • Galloglass
    Galloglass Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You might want to write a letter to the Financial Ombudsman asking to investigate this behaviour considering it is misleading. But you would have to raise it with Cabot themselves first. Go to https://register.fca.org.uk/ and put in Cabot and see which branch of Cabot you are dealing with. There will be an address or email for complaints. Quote the link and advise you will escalate.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/DISP/1/4.html

If you are not satisfied with the response, then raise it with the FOS.
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's
    • When on someone else's be it a road, a pavement, a right of way or a property there are rules. Don't assume there are none.
    • "Free parking" doesn't mean free of rules. Check the rules and if you don't like them, go elsewhere
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's and their rules apply.
    Just visiting - back in 2025
  • leninspot
    Options
    That's very interesting - thank you. I'll certainly think about doing that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback