New Post Advanced Search

Help! Mother of the Bride passed away weeks ago

5 replies 181 views
I'm sorry if this is an upsetting  post for some. 
My niece is due to be married in a few weeks. Her mum was due to walk her down the aisle but unfortunately passed away a few weeks ago due to cancer. She was so looking forward to being there on her daughter's wedding day. My niece is a carer in the community and was unable to go wedding dress shopping with her mum as the last time they were to meet she had COVID-19 symptoms. We were not allowed to be there at end of life due to government restrictions. It's been a heartbreaking time not just for us but many families all over the world. My heart goes out to you all. 
I am look for an appropriate gift to give my niece to let her know her mother is there in spirit. Can anyone help? 
Any suggestions welcome. Thank you for reading. 

Replies

• gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh what an awful situation for you all.
    To be honest there's nothing that you could give your niece at this time except your love and support.
    However (and this obviously depends on whether your sister-in-law was buried or cremated) but if she was cremated and the ashes haven't been buried yet, there are companies that turn some of the ashes into jewellery.
    I don't know how good they are, how much they cost or how fast it can be done but I'm just aware that they exist.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • edited 8 July at 9:54AM
    Andy_LAndy_L Forumite
    11.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 July at 9:54AM
    Is there something you gave her mum (your sister presumably) years ago that you could give the same thing to your niece?
  • JockMcSprockJockMcSprock Forumite
    78 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Oh what an awful situation for you all.
    To be honest there's nothing that you could give your niece at this time except your love and support.
    However (and this obviously depends on whether your sister-in-law was buried or cremated) but if she was cremated and the ashes haven't been buried yet, there are companies that turn some of the ashes into jewellery.
    I don't know how good they are, how much they cost or how fast it can be done but I'm just aware that they exist.
    Thank you so much for your reply. It was my sister who passed away.  Yes, she was cremated and we all, only just received, a small pod of her ashes to make into jewellery but it's such a personal thing I don't know what she'd like and don't want to upset her by asking when she intends doing it herself. She kept all her mum's jewellery and I think she feels closer to her wearing it. I appreciate your suggestion. It just the thought of her mum not being there when it's all she fought for in the end. 
  • JockMcSprockJockMcSprock Forumite
    78 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Andy_L said:
    Is there something you gave her mum (your sister presumably) years ago that you could give the same thing to your niece?
    Thank you for your suggestion 😊 She has the things I gave my sister. I'm torn on a bouquet charm for her bridal bouquet. 
  • Fuzzy_DuckFuzzy_Duck Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_L said:
    Thank you for your suggestion 😊 She has the things I gave my sister. I'm torn on a bouquet charm for her bridal bouquet. 
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I think a bouquet charm with her mother's photo on is a lovely idea. This website has quite a few to choose from:
    https://www.picturethiskeepsakes.co.uk/wedding-keepsakes?page=3
    Not very MSE but if you have a card with your sister's handwriting on, you could also have that turned into a charm:
    https://madebydaisy.co.uk/collections/bouquet-charms