New Post Advanced Search

How do I proceed?

3 replies 543 views
debtfreejourneydebtfreejourney Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I submitted a CCA request to a DCA who advised me the debt was unenforceble due to them not being able to find/forward the relevant documentation.
Following this I sent a letter with a settlement figure which would be gifted by family, for the purpose of settling this debt. In my letter I explained that due to not having any assets of value, living in rented property, in receipt of benefits and having a long term mental health problem which affects my ability to work ( I only work a few hours per week thus limiting my income). I also acknowledged I understood the debt was unenforceble. 
They have replied asking for GP letters, copies of prescriptions or debt and mental health evidence form and an SOA and wanting further information on how my condition impacts on my ability to make payments/ manage my finances etc ( which it doesn't....it just means I work fewer hours).

Could anyone advise how to proceed? It is advisable to give them as much information as possible so they can decide if to accept my offer? Is there any legal requirement to send in what they've asked for etc? The stress of gathering all the information they want feels massively overwhelming :-\  ( I don't cope well with anything like this I'm afraid) 
Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

Replies

• sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    21K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course there is no legal requirement to do anything, you have asked for something, siting these reasons why, they now want proof from you, they won’t just take your word for it, you must be prepared to back up your claim unfortunately.
    As the debt is unenforceable why not just walk away.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • ryanm8655ryanm8655 Forumite
    530 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Of course there is no legal requirement to do anything, you have asked for something, siting these reasons why, they now want proof from you, they won’t just take your word for it, you must be prepared to back up your claim unfortunately.
    As the debt is unenforceable why not just walk away.

Exactly, I’d just walk away.

Imo they’re trying to put pressure on you by asking for all of this evidence. While they can ask for it, given its unenforceable I’d just walk away.

How much is the debt and what did you offer, just out of interest?

August 2019: £28.8k

July 2020: £11.1k (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• leninspotleninspot Forumite
    81 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Just walk away - the burden off your shoulders when you do will be immense & will help your mental health. I've done it & it feels great. Good luck.