Council Tax as a Pensioner

My JSA recently ended, and I will get my state pension from Monday. I informed the council, they said they had been told already by the job centre that I had closed my claim, and would be send out a form asking me for proof of income and bank statements.
I informed them I had no intention of claiming any benefit for the council tax other than my single person discount.
Why can't they just send me a single person bill, the same as if I had just moved here, start afresh, no benefits? 
Help please! Thanks!


  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    They will send you a form for council tax reduction however you can simply just bin the form if you do not want to apply for it - the government push them to at least ensure people are made aware of their potential claim.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
  • LaurieastLaurieast Forumite
    3 Posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    They sent the form, regarding my application for benefit, despite my not making any aplication, no option to just pay, other than if they don't hear from me in a month I will have to pay the full amount, I expect they will then require me to re inform them that I live alone! 
    Thank you for your help.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals