Stamp duty fees break

Can anyone advice me please ,hopefully the government will give a holiday on the stamp duty or change the threshold ,We are about to sell our property and buy another house and the stamp duty is quite expensive ,but I’m sure I read somewhere if the government change the fees and you would benefit you could claim it back within 12 months is that correct 

Comments

• brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Has there been any announcements or are you just hoping for one?
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • If you read what I said it’s been suggested the government may give a holiday on stamp duty or change the fees can you answer the question I said originally if not don’t comment 
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 4 July 2020 at 4:22PM
    texdy123 Today at 4:12PM
    I’m not hoping it’s just what I’ve read .so can you answer the question if not please don’t comment the question being asked 

I’ll reply to your private message here but it’s a public forum, I’ll comment when and where I want, thanks.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • Thing is there’s helpful people and there’s people like you who question peoples questions .It was a simple question I asked but you have to pick at a question and what you messaged me was incorrect you said “I have the right to comment what I want !
    Wrong it’s a privilege not a right get your facts before getting above your self . 
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 July 2020 at 5:06PM
    I don't think anyone's going to be able to give you a definite answer - it would just be speculation, firstly on whether any changes would take place, and secondly on whether they'd allow people to retrospectively claim money back if the changes would have financially benefitted them.
    On the first point, as far as I recall, the only mention of SDLT changes in the last Conservative election manifesto was to impose an additional 3% levy on buyers who were non-UK resident.  I think there were also some rumours about switching the onus from buyers to sellers, but that was quickly denied by Rishi Sunak. If you've read something recently about other proposed changes then a link would be helpful to indicate how credible the source is.
    On the second, you may be thinking / have heard of when the rules on SDLT on Shared ownership properties were changed a couple of years back. II believe then that there was something in place that allowed people who had paid more just before the rules were amended to restrospectively claim a refund - but that doesn't necessarily mean that any future changes would follow the same principle.
    And all this was in a pre-COVID19 universe. The Conservative manifesto also promised no increases in income tax, National Insurance or VAT, but I think that one's probably out the window given the extraordinary financial circumstances we are now in.... imho they'll be looking to get as much money in as they possibly can until the pips squeak.

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    No plans for a budget anytime soon. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,311 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Speculation in the media ends up being wrong more often than it is right.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback