Find IFA to transfer DB cash equivelant tfr to a SIPP

Hi all, hoping someone will know an IFA firm who will advise re pension tfr for DH. I did mine 2 years ago to a SIPP but the IFA didn't charge if the recommendation was not to do it, didn't really pay much attention to this, used to be an adviser, it was pretty obvious in my circumstances it would be yes, pay 3% on we go, only the advice was not to! IFA wouldn't sign the form (he did in the end) all I needed was that to say I had advice.
I know not many will take the chance looks like it might be the next PPI but just want to get it done asap, many thanks for any comments

Comments

• JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 July 2020 at 3:04PM
    Shop around. Starting with https://adviserbook.co.uk/ and select Pension transfers and confirmed Independent. The Financial Conduct Authority has banned the use of contingent charging in defined benefit (DB) transfer advice since the FCA believes it may cause a conflict of interest.
    Why so surprised? He would explain his reasons behind the recommendation nevermind you think it is pretty 'obvious'.
  • mazworld15
    mazworld15 Posts: 297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Shop around. Starting with https://adviserbook.co.uk/ and select Pension transfers and confirmed Independent. The Financial Conduct Authority has banned the use of contingent charging in defined benefit (DB) transfer advice since the FCA believes it may cause a conflict of interest.
    Why so surprised? He would explain his reasons behind the recommendation nevermind you think it is pretty 'obvious'.
    Thanks, appreciate the link, he actually didn't explain his reasons very well, lots of standard paragraphs, I think he was maybe with hindsight doing it as a favour to my good friend an IFA but without the franchise, no intention of putting his neck on the line.
  • mazworld15
    edited 3 July 2020 at 3:24PM
    https://www.myfinalsalarypension.com/faqs

This looks too good to be true but will ring them., prob have to let them invest it
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,779 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary

This looks too good to be true but will ring them., prob have to let them invest it
    IMHO, any 'wealth management' company is usually to be avoided .....
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

They are not IFAs. If you read through the answers, they are restricted in that they can only recommend their investment funds.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    This subject is very common on this forum . The problem of finding an IFA to do DB transfers is getting very tricky as they are under huge pressure from the FCA (Financial conduct authority) to only recommend transfer in a small minority of special cases.
    The FCA believes that in 9 out of 10 cases a DB transfer is not in the long term best interest of the pension holder.

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi all, hoping someone will know an IFA firm who will advise re pension tfr for DH. I did mine 2 years ago to a SIPP but the IFA didn't charge if the recommendation was not to do it, didn't really pay much attention to this, used to be an adviser, it was pretty obvious in my circumstances it would be yes, pay 3% on we go, only the advice was not to! IFA wouldn't sign the form (he did in the end) all I needed was that to say I had advice.
    I know not many will take the chance looks like it might be the next PPI but just want to get it done asap, many thanks for any comments

So you aren't actually looking for advice, just a tick in the box to say your husband has received advice, because you've already made the decision?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Joey_Soap
    Joey_Soap Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This subject is very common on this forum . The problem of finding an IFA to do DB transfers is getting very tricky as they are under huge pressure from the FCA (Financial conduct authority) to only recommend transfer in a small minority of special cases.
    The FCA believes that in 9 out of 10 cases a DB transfer is not in the long term best interest of the pension holder.

My impression would be on that, the FCA are right. Ihad to persuade Mrs S not go ahead a few years back. Now she has the then deferred DB pension in payment, she's very glad she didn't transfer out.
  • mazworld15
    Marcon said:

So you aren't actually looking for advice, just a tick in the box to say your husband has received advice, because you've already made the decision?
    Yes, I realise how it sounds but there are really sound reasons why we need to fo it
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    Marcon said:

Yes, I realise how it sounds but there are really sound reasons why we need to fo it
    Be careful you don't tell the IFA you've already made your decision before they do anything. They will be even less inclined to accept the business.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback