Harvey's Administration

Hi,
I purchased 2 matching sofa's in January, paying a deposit using my debit card. The balance was paid in March, prior to planned delivery date, also using my debit card. Due to Coronavirus, delivery was delayed until the end of May. However, the sofa's aren't as ordered (and paid for), with one of them being in a different colour and inferior quality fabric.
Following several e-mails and calls to Customer Services, they agreed that this was the case, and a replacement needed to be ordered. However, they were unable to do this, and I needed to contact the store I purchased it from. Said store didn't re-open until this Monday (June 28th), but they agreed to re-order a replacement. Yesterday (July 1st) they called to tell me that they had gone into Administration so all trading had ceased. They advised me to call Customer Services, who would advise me further. Wrong! They say they have no information, and to call back in 2 weeks time!
Under these circumstances, would I be eligible for Chargeback on my debit card?

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes you should be - defective/not as described merchandise is one of the chargeback reasons. 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Juanfen
    Juanfen Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Thankyou, unholyangel. I thought so, but unable to get through to my bank at the moment. 😖 x
  • Juanfen
    First Post
    Hmmm...Having now spoken to my bank, it seems that whilst the company is in "Administration", as opposed to "Liquidation", they are unable to authorise a chargeback. Apparently,  I have to apply to the administration company for some recompense, unless a rescue bid is made, in which case they "should" be able to replace the wrong sofa. On the other hand, if the company goes into liquidation, my bank will step in and put chargeback into play. 
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Grrr, this thing lost my message...

Chargeback is independent of the financial issues, they have sent faulty goods and aren't playing ball to fix it in a reasonable timeframe. Some banks put up every obstacle possible over doing chargebacks.

Remember if you successfully do a chargeback then the sofas are no longer yours and you cannot just dispose of them etc. There is another poster on here who fell into that problem over a faulty shed/summerhouse. You'd need to contact them and given them reasonable opportunity to collect the items and be very clear that if they fail to do so within a reasonable timeframe what you will be doing with them (keeping them not being an acceptable option)
  • Juanfen
    First Post
    Thankyou Sandtree.
    My Bank actually said that as I had received two sofas, it could be argued that they'd fulfilled my order!!!?? 
    The 3-seater is fine, and as ordered. Whilst the labelling on the 2-seater states it's the colour/fabric I ordered (to match the 3-seater), it isn't. It's a different colour, in the cheaper fabric option, and Customer Services agreed that this was the case. To be honest, if I were successful in securing a chargeback, they're welcome to take them back, as my "vision" was two matching sofa's. I love my 3-seater, but if I can't get another to match, it's no good to me!

• Im having similar problems! But mine is through finance company. They arrived today but I refused delivery as 2 different colours. Harvey’s said I can’t cancel and cancellation needs to agreed by the administrators. Finance company said they’re happy to cancel agreement if they get confirmation of cancelled order. Being sent round in circles! 
    But how funny would it be if I was given the other half of your order and you mine  :D
  • Juanfen
    First Post
    Hi unhappyconsumer88.
    I can empathise with you being sent round in circles. It's SO frustrating.
    Mine weren't the most expensive sofas in the store, but as a Carer, on minimum wage, they were expensive for me.
    I ordered a 2 seater & 3 seater from the "Nina" range, and upgraded to a "mushroom " fabric with light wood legs. The 3 seater is as ordered, but the 2 seater is in the basic "shergar" grey fabric, I believe (That's what Customer Services thought, at least!), despite the packaging stating it was "mushroom". 
    What are the chances that we have each others 2nd sofa?!!
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Shergar was not a grey .
  • Juanfen
    First Post
    JJ_Egan,
    Thankyou for your reply. "Shergar grey" is what Customer Services told me, after seeing the photo's I'd sent them. Lol...I have no idea if this was correct or not, but it IS grey and has more of a "felt" feel to it, rather than the flat-weave fabric of the mushroom sofa. Either way, it's not what I ordered and it's not what I paid for!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback