To JSA or Not To JSA..?

Options
Hello all!
I'm new to the forum, and I've tried to search if someone is in a similar situation as ourselves (myself and my husband) but it's a bit of an odd situation. So I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I want to know if it would be wise to apply for Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA) or steer well clear. 

Basically, I was made redundant after my employer went bankrupt. I've just filled in my application for redundancy pay (praying I've filled that out correctly! :#  ) and at the end of it, it then gives a link to apply for JSA. Although I have applied for a couple of jobs recently, and have a few more I'm wanting to apply for, we're wondering if I should apply for JSA for several reasons:
1) We have recently been given the go ahead from husband's work to graze 80-100 hectares of land, which will take our hobby farming ventures out of the "hobby" category and more into Tenant Farmer territory; as well as myself doing a Bee Keeping course to start Bee Keeping within the next month or so. This venture will not be profitable for the next year or so, but will be just as time consuming as a part-time/full-time job. (PS I know we will have to claim all earnings, it's all in the very, very early stages having just been given the go ahead)

2) I want to be particular about the jobs I apply for; I would prefer part-time (if any) and to choose where I work. I don't want to sound snobbish, it's not snobbery in the slightest, there are just some jobs that don't appeal to me. 

so my questions are:
a) Can you be picky and hold out for jobs that appeal to you on JSA, or do you have to apply for anywhere that you meet the criteria for?

b) Could I apply for JSA but then stop claiming if I decide that I want to play Farmer or Homemaker, or will they make me pay it all back?!

c) Husband seems to think you have to apply for several jobs before you even get paid the JSA benefit, is that true?

(I don't think Husband is eligible for Working Tax Credits because when I checked last, 2 years ago, he was earning too much? It's all a bit confusing as neither of us have been in this position before, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid post!)

Thanks in Advance! o:)

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On JSA - it depends. 

I was made redundant 2 years ago. Met with the work coach - he took a quick look at my CV and experience and basically said "Apply for similar roles, within a 10 mile radius, with a salary of £X+ and we'll leave it at that for the first 12 weeks." Every time i saw him, think it was 3 or 4, before i found work. We simply talked about the football. 
    As long as you dont take the mick, and get a reasonable person at the JC (they do exists, both times ive claimed ive had reasonable people) you are generally left to your own devices.

You can stop claiming at anytime, no need to pay it back.

No, you get paid from 3 days after you apply. 

WTC dont exist anymore. It's now UC everywhere afaik. 
  • hobby_farm_girl
    Options
    I've tried replying a couple of times already with no success, so sorry if this comes up with 3 spammy replies! Thank you so much for your response and answering all my questions, I can't tell you how grateful I am!
  • Comms69
    Options
    I've tried replying a couple of times already with no success, so sorry if this comes up with 3 spammy replies! Thank you so much for your response and answering all my questions, I can't tell you how grateful I am!
    no probs :)
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should really have started your claim for UC when your redundancy started, but its not to late. It could be a long time before you are back at work and you have NI contributions to think about. You may not get any money (your husbands earnings are included in your claim) but should get NI credits.
  • hobby_farm_girl
    Options
    Ah okay, thank you! It's all a bit of a minefield, I think they really need to teach lessons in School about Jobs, redundancy and benefits! It's so confusing! I still feel like a rabbit in the headlights!
  • Comms69
    Options
    eamon said:
    You should really have started your claim for UC when your redundancy started, but its not to late. It could be a long time before you are back at work and you have NI contributions to think about. You may not get any money (your husbands earnings are included in your claim) but should get NI credits.
    OP doesnt need UC, JSA is available 
  • Comms69
    Options
    Ah okay, thank you! It's all a bit of a minefield, I think they really need to teach lessons in School about Jobs, redundancy and benefits! It's so confusing! I still feel like a rabbit in the headlights!
    Unfortunately it changes to often really. UC came in only in the last what 5 years?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback