Effect of tax free redundancy pay and rent a room income on HMRC personal tax allowances

Options
BPL
BPL Posts: 191 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Hi,
I realise these are "tax free" at up to £30k and up to £7k5. Does any income received from these sources have to be added to your other income on your tax form.
I discovered this issue with savings income which was tax free as under £1000 but then realised HMRC add it to your income to assess your personal allownces tax ban thus pushing me into a higher band (40%).....and then having only £500 tax free interest. I know this is basic but a search revealed not a lot online. Here's hoping someone can help.

Comments

• Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,430 Forumite
    Options
    These are exemptions, so do not get taken into account in working out what your marginal tax rate is.
  • BPL
    Options
    Are both amounts exempt and savings a special case?
  • Jeremy535897
    Options
    Savings aren't exempt, they just have special rates of tax, including 0%, depending on circumstances.
  • BPL
    Options
    Yes i thought that and tax return calculation confirms it. I was wondering about redundancy pay and rent a room income.
  • Jeremy535897
    Options
    BPL said:
    Yes i thought that and tax return calculation confirms it. I was wondering about redundancy pay and rent a room income.
    Yes, and as I have said, they are exempt from tax, like many benefits, lottery winnings etc.
  • dctrgre
    dctrgre Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Redundancy payments may need to be reported on your tax return- box 9 on page 2 of the Additional Information pages (SA101). See the SA101 notes for more information. 
  • dctrgre
    dctrgre Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Rent a room income should also be disclosed on the property pages; as long as the income is less than £7500 (£3750 if let jointly) you just need to tick box 4 of the property pages.
  • Jeremy535897
    Options
    dctrgre said:
    Redundancy payments may need to be reported on your tax return- box 9 on page 2 of the Additional Information pages (SA101). See the SA101 notes for more information. 
    dctrgre said:
    Rent a room income should also be disclosed on the property pages; as long as the income is less than £7500 (£3750 if let jointly) you just need to tick box 4 of the property pages.
    I think OP was just using these as examples, rather than asking how to report them.
  • BPL
    Options
    Thanks for all the information including how to report them on the tax form. Having my marginal tax rates breached due to a possible £37500 additional income was a bit scary so I am glad I now understand it. I wish HMRC would allow you to pre-populate your self assessment to test these scenarios without having to bother experts like yourselves. Maybe there is a software product I could use ideally free....
  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,624 Forumite
    Options
    BPL said:
    Thanks for all the information including how to report them on the tax form. Having my marginal tax rates breached due to a possible £37500 additional income was a bit scary so I am glad I now understand it. I wish HMRC would allow you to pre-populate your self assessment to test these scenarios without having to bother experts like yourselves. Maybe there is a software product I could use ideally free....
    If you're talking about the online tax return, I thought you could.  In the past I've entered figures, looked at the calculation to see the effect and then taken them back out again. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback