Marriage Allowance Claim

Options
Recently made a claim with what I thought was HMRC for a Marriage Claim Allowance which has been now paid to what I now find out today having spoken with HMRC to an independent Company called Marriage Allowance Claims based in Leicester. No fees were mentioned or the fact that they were a third party when I claimed and even though funds have been paid to them (over £1000) nothing has been received by me. I tried ringing two numbers this morning, one of which was a private residence and the second gave you 3 options to choose from and then after hearing them cut you off. HMRC are unable to assist but is there anyway you can help? 

Comments

• brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 June 2020 at 12:02PM
    Options
    Who is ‘you’ in your final question? 
    In order for them to act on your behalf, surely you’ve provided them a signature? Did you sign a letter of authority?

Our fee of 35% + VAT (so 42% of the total HMRC repayment) plus £24 (including VAT) is only payable if a payment is released.’

i’m In the wrong business!
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • Morton47
    Morton47 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Many thanks . . Unfortunately I did Sign in the belief that I was dealing with HMRC but as mentioned I have since found out today that this was not the case . . They should surely have stated their fees in any correspondence as then I would have realised that there was potentially a third party involvement . . This is nothing short than "legalised robbery" in my view
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 June 2020 at 1:03PM
    Options
    . Do you have a copy of their letter of authority you could provide to look at? Obviously with any private information redacted.

interestingly, they don’t appear to be regulated by the FCA or, in-fact, anyone and I can’t find a complaints procedure anywhere on their site.

more info here - they’re very shady
    https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/06/we-thought-we-were-dealing-with-hmrc-marriage-allowance-claimants-lose-nearly-half-of-their-tax-refund/
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • Morton47
    First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the only signed copy I had was sent to them
  • Morton47
    First Post
    Options
    Do you think there is any way I can check if payment has been made as when I spoke with HMRC this morning they confirmed that they were "legitimate" but as I haven't received a penny I very much doubt it especially as I cannot get hold of them . .  One payment for just over £792 has been sent to them around 3 weeks ago by HMRC and the other payment HMRC advise that they cannot stop even though payment for this has not yet been sent (just over £247)
  • Morton47
    Options
    Is there any way I can make a formal complaint to HMRC about the way that the Company known as Marriage Allowance Claims based in Leicester is operating please as I am still awaiting my first payment even though HMRC advised me that this had been sent end of June/Early July
  • Morton47
    Options
    Sorry first payment had been sent early June not early July as posted above
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It should be noted that HMRC issues should never require the use of third party companies unless its an accountant, IFA or solicitor.   Claims companies are not required for such things and its not a claim.  You are just asking for an admin nightmare and unnecessary massive fees.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Morton47
    Options
    Thank you for your response and I appreciate your comments and I did realise this . . The Problem on this one was that I clicked on the link for Marriage Allowance Claims and the first on the list was Marriage Allowance Claims with a .org Web Address. When the form came for the claim it made no mention that they were an independent Company and also made no mention of any fees otherwise I would have been immediately alerted to the fact that they were an independent. That said I only realised when I was diverted from their website to HMRC who advised that the payments were made in early June to them on my behalf and yet here I am now in August still waiting for the first payment which they have advised me today only arrived with them last week (14th August) which I know is untrue. Surely HMRC should be able to ensure that Companies like this are unable to appear to act on their behalf.
  • Morton47
    Options
    Just for everyone to know it now appears that this Company has disappeared off the radar leaving me without my Money
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback