New Post Advanced Search

The Marmite Situation

12 replies 596 views
coffeehoundcoffeehound Forumite
4K posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
I heard there are Marmite supply problems.  Have you noticed the presence or absence of said yeast-extract based spreads in your supermarket please?  There's none in my only local supermarket (M&S).  Thanks.

Replies

• pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    264 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    There was plenty in my local Waitrose last night.  Dried yeast (for baking) was also available, and that's been out of stock quite a lot lately, so I'm hoping this indicates that the supply issues are easing up.
  • BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    47.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brewers shut down , no yeast for Marmite.

Almost all now back brewing so shortage ending
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of the larger jars last week , plus the new marmite and peanut butter .
  • edited 30 June at 11:34AM
    jackieblackjackieblack Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June at 11:34AM
    None at all in Tesco a fortnight ago, but on the same day B&M had a fully stocked shelf of the big jars so it might be a localised supply issue.
    (I haven't looked for it again since, so couldn't say if Tesco are restocked)

2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    MFW #4 :) OPs: 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33
    2020 YTD £837.07 Jan £69.76, Feb £67.31, Mar £700.00
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marmite did say they were only producing the one size of jar, 250g, but were getting back to normal now.  Not had any shortage of the 250g in Lidl but noticed Tesco had empty shelves.
  • edited 30 June at 1:15PM
    JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 June at 1:15PM
    It was Tesco that had full shelves for me .As well as the Aussie version Vegemite .
    Waiting for the small jars , but enough at the bottom of the jar to last for weeks yet .
  • BacmanBacman Forumite
    245 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Marmite uses the left-over yeast from the brewing industry, so when we had lockdown and the pubs shut, the demand for making beer plummeted, which meant a shortage of the yeast used to make Marmite. The company said recently on the report that supply will be back to normal again soon.
  • edited 2 July at 11:58AM
    Steve_LSteve_L Forumite
    337 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 2 July at 11:58AM
    My name is Steve and I'm a Marmite addict. :)
    My jar is running very low. Leave the jar on its side so it's easier to get the last bit out low.
    It's shown as in stock at the time of posting. We'll see if this is still so when the order is placed on Friday and, if it's still shown as in stock then, when the order is picked on Monday morning.
    If not, then I'll start checking again. Eventually, "all my ducks will be in a row". It's worked before with other items.
    "Life is much/far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it." Oscar Wilde, in "Vera; or, The Nihilists” (much), then "Lady Windermere's Fan" (far).

• fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    15.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Cashback Cashier Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve_L said:
    My name is Steve and I'm a Marmite addict. :)

There should be an organisation who could help you
  • Usually_puzzledUsually_puzzled Forumite
    4 posts
    Third Anniversary First Post
    No problem with availability of 250g jars although can't see any in Aldi (or shelf sticker). BUT J Sainsbury are robbing us selling them at £2.90. Waitrose in better at £2.70.