edited 2 July at 1:44PM in Child Support
7 replies 257 views
linclasslinclass Forumite
284 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 2 July at 1:44PM in Child Support
Hello, 
My husband's daughter will be 18 in October. She was living with her mother but left a few weeks ago to live with her boyfriend.  She is still at school.  He has been paying for her via the CSA but has now cancelled it.  He has been speaking to his ex, who is paying the girl a small amount each week. My husband wishes to contribute, his ex suggested paying with a family arrangement in place. How will he know how much to pay the child please? 

Replies

• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    12.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever he chooses to, basically.
  • linclasslinclass Forumite
    284 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks for reply 🙂. So he ISN'T 'ruled' by the amount he's been paying via CSA then? 
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is CB still being paid? More to the point, who to? In theory, her boyfriend can claim it for her and any payments should go to him. 
    The fact that she is still in school means that child maintenance is still payable especially if CB is still being claimed by somebody.
    If the CSA case hasn't been formally closed then arrears are accruing. 
    284 posts
    ✭✭
    Hi unforeseen, thanks for reply.  Difficult situation. My husband paid her mother without fail via the CSA. When child left, (firstly to live with her elder brother) her mother cancelled the CSA.  My husband immediately set up the new arrangement (via CSA) to her brother who is not in contact with my husband. Daughter left his home after less that 2 WEEKS, to live with boyfriend at his parents home.  They do not wish to claim any payment.  Husband stopped payment to CSA .  He has no idea whether his son has informed CSA that the daughter has left.  The CSA are rather quick to send letters in brown envelopes if there's any query of any kind, and all this happened at the start of June. He has received no letters from the CSA as yet.  :-) 
    12.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CMS***

And no, it's onl payable, mandatory, if there is an active CMS claim. Otherwise the amount and frequency is totally voluntary.
    284 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks Comms69...  CSA, CMS, shmeeemes ... you know who i mean, :-)  OK thanks.  Will be interesting whether she actually REMAINS at school too. . . . 
    12.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    linclass said:
    Thanks Comms69...  CSA, CMS, shmeeemes ... you know who i mean, :-)  OK thanks.  Will be interesting whether she actually REMAINS at school too. . . . 
    Trust me, the amount of people in the legal profession that still call it CSA... But it's best to be accurate.