Advance ticket rules when train not running

New Post Advanced Search

Advance ticket rules when train not running

4 replies 111 views
lisyloolisyloo Forumite
26.6K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
does anyone know what the rules are for advance tickets if the train isn’t running?

i have a ticket for one not running due to COViD timetable changes. 
my personal experience on GWR has been very good when I’ve volunteered that I’m on the wrong train

but are there any rules on this?

Replies

• lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GWr have said “next available”.
    ive found them to be very pragmatic in practice (had loads of disruption when they brought in the new hitachi trains).
    sometimes a delay is inconvenient e.g. when connecting, especially if the delay is compounded by a slower service.

i am white, middle aged, respectable looking/dressed and sometimes have a first class ticket.
    I have found a totally different level of service/attitude in first class. It’s like your their reason to live rather than something on their shoes, let alone any unconscious bias.
  • edited 28 June at 11:24AM
    daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 June at 11:24AM
    National Conditions of Travel apply.  If your booked service is cancelled you can use the next one.  Don't forget you may be entitled to delay repay.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National%20Rail%20Conditions%20of%20Travel.pdf
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you have a choice:

• Take the train before
    • Take the train after (and claim Delay Repay if appropriate)
    • If you choose not to travel, you can obtain a full refund from the original retailer
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    26.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie2 said:
    Yes you have a choice:

• Take the train before
    • Take the train after (and claim Delay Repay if appropriate)
    • If you choose not to travel, you can obtain a full refund from the original retailer
    I can’t see anywhere you are entitled to get the train before. Do you have a link?

In practice I’ve found staff very helpful but always good to know where you stand.