Advance ticket rules when train not running

does anyone know what the rules are for advance tickets if the train isn’t running?

i have a ticket for one not running due to COViD timetable changes. 
my personal experience on GWR has been very good when I’ve volunteered that I’m on the wrong train

but are there any rules on this?

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    GWr have said “next available”.
    ive found them to be very pragmatic in practice (had loads of disruption when they brought in the new hitachi trains).
    sometimes a delay is inconvenient e.g. when connecting, especially if the delay is compounded by a slower service.

i am white, middle aged, respectable looking/dressed and sometimes have a first class ticket.
    I have found a totally different level of service/attitude in first class. It’s like your their reason to live rather than something on their shoes, let alone any unconscious bias.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,469
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 28 June 2020 at 10:24AM
    National Conditions of Travel apply.  If your booked service is cancelled you can use the next one.  Don't forget you may be entitled to delay repay.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National%20Rail%20Conditions%20of%20Travel.pdf
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595
    Forumite
    Yes you have a choice:

• Take the train before
    • Take the train after (and claim Delay Repay if appropriate)
    • If you choose not to travel, you can obtain a full refund from the original retailer
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Forumite
    yorkie2 said:
    Yes you have a choice:

• Take the train before
    • Take the train after (and claim Delay Repay if appropriate)
    • If you choose not to travel, you can obtain a full refund from the original retailer
    I can’t see anywhere you are entitled to get the train before. Do you have a link?

In practice I’ve found staff very helpful but always good to know where you stand.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback