My Journey

Options
Dear All, 

In November last year I was over £8000 in debt. I was 21, afraid, living day by day, and getting by without anyone knowing. Just before my family found out about my situation, I posted on here for help, asking whether it was the right decision to tell my parents about my debt. From the advice I wrote everything down in a letter, but was too scared to give it to them. My mental health was at an all time low and I had tried to take my life on multiple occasions. The day after asking for advice, my mum, knowing something was wrong, searched my room and found the letter. They were initially shocked and a little disappointed, but I was fortunate enough that my parents were in a position that they could pay off my debts for me. The agreement was that I would pay them back in full. Now, at the end of June, I have only one more payment to make to them of just of £300. Mentally, I have never been better. The thought that my debts are nearly paid is something that cannot be described and I can’t wait to make the final payment at the end of next month. 

I wanted to write this post to tell other young individuals, like myself, that with hard work you really can pay off your debts. Now I have nearly paid them back they trust me with money and I have realised that I can live happily off of a limited amount! They’re so proud that they’re even now considering lending me the money to buy a new car! 

To anyone who is in debt, please know that money is not the route of happiness, nor is it the end of you get yourself in this position. You just have to want to be free from it. 

From an almost debt free 22 year old (now!) who could be happier! :)

Comments

• RyanHello
    RyanHello Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thomm042 said:
    Dear All, 

In November last year I was over £8000 in debt. I was 21, afraid, living day by day, and getting by without anyone knowing. Just before my family found out about my situation, I posted on here for help, asking whether it was the right decision to tell my parents about my debt. From the advice I wrote everything down in a letter, but was too scared to give it to them. My mental health was at an all time low and I had tried to take my life on multiple occasions. The day after asking for advice, my mum, knowing something was wrong, searched my room and found the letter. They were initially shocked and a little disappointed, but I was fortunate enough that my parents were in a position that they could pay off my debts for me. The agreement was that I would pay them back in full. Now, at the end of June, I have only one more payment to make to them of just of £300. Mentally, I have never been better. The thought that my debts are nearly paid is something that cannot be described and I can’t wait to make the final payment at the end of next month. 

I wanted to write this post to tell other young individuals, like myself, that with hard work you really can pay off your debts. Now I have nearly paid them back they trust me with money and I have realised that I can live happily off of a limited amount! They’re so proud that they’re even now considering lending me the money to buy a new car! 

To anyone who is in debt, please know that money is not the route of happiness, nor is it the end of you get yourself in this position. You just have to want to be free from it. 

From an almost debt free 22 year old (now!) who could be happier! :)
    That is great to hear! :) 
    Very sensible to get on top of it at an early age. 
    Once that final payment is made, you'll feel like a brand new person.
    I was in the same position as you once. Struggling mentally, not sleeping because of the worry. As soon as i started to get on top of it, i felt a lot of happier and less stressful. 
    I got into debt by buying designer items EVERY month. By living your life trying to LOOK rich, you'll never have money.

Good luck to you ... now the money saving journey starts!!
  • in_need_of_direction
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post your story. I’m sure it will help others
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • You are worth more to your parents than any amount of money. I’m relieved that your note was found. I have a son the same age as you and no amount of money could replace him. There’s nothing that can’t be fixed apart from death and taxes. Enjoy your debt free life <3  
    Pay all your debt by Xmas 2023 - #39 £2,570.09 / £12,000.00 (21.4%)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback