Issues at work/casual worker

I work in a drug and alcohol rehab and there are some major problems at the moment. It used to be a great place to work, great team and just a good atmosphere even when the work was tough. New manager is not making anyone want to be here anymore - 3 have left/handed notice in, with more considering it. Issues with clients are not sorted anymore and just allowed to continue and worsen, despite staff handing over these problems on a daily basis and asking for change (that only management can implement). The manager and deputy are being increasingly rude and nasty about other staff often in front of me and other staff - celebrating when one employee who had been here for many years handed his notice in for example. Also the same about many of the clients - many of whom have been through intense trauma and are very mentally unwell - the manager talks about them as if they are choosing to be this way and need to pull themselves together. When my colleagues have approached the manager to tell them they aren’t happy at the moment, they have almost been gaslit - after one complained they took her into the office and told her that her anxiety was affecting her work and other staff (the complaints had nothing to do with her anxiety) and another, who is himself a recovered addict who had been clean and sober for over 15 years, discussed his issues and was asked ‘how do you feel about your sobriety’ - as if he was on the verge of relapse and this was why he was having issues at work. They will not listen to any criticism - simply saying that change is a good thing and you have to accept it, not being willing to listen to anyone’s concerns at all. 

They have also brought in a new rota they want to use to save money on ‘casual staff’ to cover shifts, by making 2 full time who currently both work 5 evenings each week, work over 80 hours in one week and have the following off.. they are not happy with this but are being told the contract they have signed means the shifts they can do can change to whatever management decide. This may be so, but they are not even willing to discuss options. This will lead to burn out, it includes sleeping over at work every night for a week (not included in the 80 hours).

i have had bad managers before but I feel so uncomfortable with this, it feels immoral, unfair on clients who are paying/being paid for a huge amount of money to be here and just not getting the service they need or deserve. Staff are being pushed out, it seems they feel relief when someone hands their notice in as this means they can employ new staff who can do things their way and not question it. It is nasty, unprofessional - management should not be talking about their staff in that way, especially not in front of other staff. I am only a ‘bank’ worker as I am also full time at university as a mature student but over summer and holidays I work almost full time and the way things are going just don’t sit right with me. I have considered whistleblowing but I’m unsure if there is anything concrete/severe enough - it is a lot of little things that all together create a very bad thing. And I don’t know if, as a bank worker rather than full tome, I will be listened to.

i am considering leaving, but hate the idea of just leaving the place to get worse and worse because it once was a great place for staff and clients, and now is gradually getting a bad reputation. I also love the actual work, but these issues are clouding that. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If the place is NHS funded it needs to be reported to the local NHS Trust.  All you can do it let them know your concerns and leave them to investigate.  You will have done all you can in the situation.
  • hrj2922
    hrj2922 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    TELLIT01 said:
    If the place is NHS funded it needs to be reported to the local NHS Trust.  All you can do it let them know your concerns and leave them to investigate.  You will have done all you can in the situation.
    Unfortunately it’s not NHS funded
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Wouldn't this come under the remit of the CQC? 
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It is difficult to give advice without knowing who is responsible for the hostel ie. who manages the manager? 
    Where does the funding come from?
    You could send them a letter covering all the points you have made asking them to take action for the benefit of the client group.
    The problem with the above is that they would have appointed the manager so perhaps would feel responsible or could be dismissive that they had made the wrong choice of appointment.
    A letter from your home address does of course identify you and could leave you open to being dismissed as a troublemaker, whistleblowers whilst necessary are rarely thanked.
    The changes of practice sound horrendous and detrimental to both staff and clients it might be that you could get somebody else who does not mind being identified to write expressing their concerns and letting it be known that copies of these concerns will be forwarded to the Medical Director at the local Mental Health Trust, The local council and MP and the local press.

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Join a union. Now. Persuade as many of your colleagues to do so as well. These practices sound unsafe. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure