Vanguard ETFs - Whats the difference and which to choose...

Hi All,
Vanguard (at least on my ii.co.uk SIPP acount) seem to offer the same ETF in a number of forms, for example:
  • Vanguard FTSE North America UCITS ETF
  • Vanguard FTSE North America UCITS ETF GBP
  • Vanguard FTSE North America UCITS ETF USD Accumulation GBP
Whats the difference between these?

Comments

• ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    RD42 said:
    Hi All,
    Vanguard (at least on my ii.co.uk SIPP acount) seem to offer the same ETF in a number of forms, for example:
    • Vanguard FTSE North America UCITS ETF
    • Vanguard FTSE North America UCITS ETF GBP
    • Vanguard FTSE North America UCITS ETF USD Accumulation GBP
    Whats the difference between these?
    Dollars, Sterling and Accumulation (no dividends paid out) respectively.
  • RD42
    RD42 Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    When you say "Dollars" and "Sterling" what does that mean for an investor.  If I bought £1000 of each of the first two in my SIPP and the FTSE North America went up 10% which one would I have been better off with?    I assume that the investment would be converted into $ in both cases, so why have two options?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It often costs foreign exchange fees for purchase, sale and dividends in USD. None if using the GBP version.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 June 2020 at 9:10PM
    RD42 said:
    When you say "Dollars" and "Sterling" what does that mean for an investor.  If I bought £1000 of each of the first two in my SIPP and the FTSE North America went up 10% which one would I have been better off with?    I assume that the investment would be converted into $ in both cases, so why have two options?
    The return on your shares will be exactly the same because both ETFs hold the exact same assets.  However your brokerage might be dealing in sterling only, so there will be currency exchAnge costs for distributions and any purchases and sales of ETF shares for the USD option. You should buy the sterling option rather than USD unless you have a USD brokerage account.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,810 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 June 2020 at 3:11PM
    RD42 said:
    The return on your shares will be exactly the same because both ETFs hold the exact same assets.  However your brokerage might be dealing in sterling only, so there will be currency exchAnge costs for distributions and any purchases and sales of ETF shares for the USD option. You should buy the sterling option rather than USD unless you have a USD brokerage account.
    Would just add that some ETFs priced in GBP pay distributions in USD, so your platform will charge a FX fee to convert the distribution to GBP (unless it’s held with a platform within a General Investment Account that allows clients to hold foreign currencies within).
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • RD42
    RD42 Posts: 76 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you for the replies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business