Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

Kindle Unlimited - Amazon Trial Offers

New Post Advanced Search

Kindle Unlimited - Amazon Trial Offers

2 replies 57 views
Took advantage of a 30 day free trial period on the understanding that it could be cancelled at any time during that period before the monthly charge (£7.99) became payable. I always make a diary reminder note for myself to cancel this sort of offer before it's too late if I decide it's not for me. So this morning I thought it would be a simple task of logging into my account, finding the "cancel" button, and all sorted. Turns out this button doesn't work (well it certainly didn't this morning), so then start to investigate alternative forms of communication. Cut a long story short, eventually managed to engage in live online chat with a real person after 5 frustrating minutes of meaningless dialogue with the chatbot, and now all sorted.
Purpose of my post is to see if any other readers have had difficulties in cancelling Amazon subscriptions? I was really tempted to try Amazon Prime, but have now lost confidence in Amazon as a trustworthy organisation for their "trial" offers.
In case anyone is interested, I found that whilst Kindle Unlimited sounded really good, many of the books I wanted to borrow were not available even though they were in the Amazon Library available for purchase or through Amazon Prime.

Replies

• unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is the author or publisher's choice whether books are available via Kindle Unlimited. It is rare that popular authors books are free to read (apart from those where copyright has timed out) 
    Didn't you think to look at the books first to see if they fell under Kindle Unlimited before signing up.

I find that their are still a lot of good books in genres that I am interested in for free, but none by popular or well known authors. 

• inspectorperezinspectorperez Forumite
    301 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    It is the author or publisher's choice whether books are available via Kindle Unlimited. It is rare that popular authors books are free to read (apart from those where copyright has timed out) 
    Didn't you think to look at the books first to see if they fell under Kindle Unlimited before signing up.

I find that their are still a lot of good books in genres that I am interested in for free, but none by popular or well known authors. 

Thanks for the response and observations.
    Couple of comments.
    1. This is a paid for subscription so you are not reading the books for free.
    2. I did try to interrogate the available Kindle Unlimited library before signing up, but unable to do establish the appropriate link/s to enable this search.
    Pity because the monthly cost is not unreasonable bearing in mind that you have access to a range of online magazines which included several I would often purchase independently.