We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Empty property officer Belfast area

I need to get my property certified as empty to claim 5% VAT on building works. To do this I need an empty property officer to certify that my property is empty. I had emailed Belfast city Council and they sent me onto the housing executive. I spoke with the housing executive and they were not sure who would deal with it on their end. They said they would call back but never got back to me.

Are there any empty property officers in Northern Ireland?

Comments

  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,751 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    I would contact your MLA
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Eclipser
    Eclipser Posts: 174 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2020 at 3:43PM

    Contact Land & Property Services, they inspect vacant properties.
    https://www.finance-ni.gov.uk/land-property-services-lps
  • Hi @Dannyboyni

    Appreciate some time has passed since your post but I’d be very keen to know how you got on?

    I spoke initially to Belfast City Council who weren’t much use and forwarded me to the LPS. The rates office would not provide me with any dates as I was not the named account holder, I do know that the previous owner was not paying rates whilst the property was going though Probate. The solicitor has provided a date but would this be sufficient for HMRC? LPS sent me to Land Registry but they don’t have records of properties being vacant.

    I’m taking on a sizeable renovation so every / any bit would help. When looking on line, somewhere mentioned a neighbour affidavit, again, have you any idea if this would suffice?


    Cheers

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.