Forum Home» I wanna buy-it or do-it

Discounts and offers for other keyworkers

New Post Advanced Search

Discounts and offers for other keyworkers

8 replies 142 views
Hello

I have seen many deals and offers for NHS staff which is definitely much needed and well deserved. As someone in education who has also been working throughout the lockdown does any know of any deals, offered or freebies for those working in the education sector? Some recognition and appreciation of are efforts would be greatly welcomed too.

Thank you. 

Replies

• NgoziNgozi Forumite
    123 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Where do you draw the line?
    Factory workers in any sort of food industry have not stop, not just food, the packaging makers, delivery drivers, farm hands, sailors, lorry drivers, supermarket workers, butchers etc....
    If anything, a lot of those listed above have probably been more at risk than the majority of teachers as we've seen how dangerous a factory can be when someone with corona enters the site.
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reb2020 said:
    Hello

I have seen many deals and offers for NHS staff which is definitely much needed and well deserved. As someone in education who has also been working throughout the lockdown does any know of any deals, offered or freebies for those working in the education sector? Some recognition and appreciation of are efforts would be greatly welcomed too.

Thank you. 
    Many of us have been working throughout lockdown. What aspect of working the education sector makes you feel you should be worthy of special recognition? 
  • Trina90Trina90 Forumite
    389 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I think us key workers are in the majority, rather than the minority! Can't all expect special treatment as there's too many of us
    Mortgage started 2015: £150,000 2016: £130,000 2017: £116,000 2018: £105,000 2019: £88,000 2020: £69,000
  • Reb2020Reb2020 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    Hello All

Thank you for your comments and feedback. It's true there are many people who have worked during Lockdown, with some in more high risk areas than myself. It's not me personally that deserves the recognition but all the those in education who have also had to adapt to new working practices and safety guidelines to ensure that other Keyworkers such as those mentioned can go and do their essential jobs. 
    All keyworkers deserve recognition not just the NHS. 
  • edited 2 July at 9:39PM
    DoxDox Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 July at 9:39PM
    Reb2020 said:
    Hello All

Thank you for your comments and feedback. It's true there are many people who have worked during Lockdown, with some in more high risk areas than myself. It's not me personally that deserves the recognition but all the those in education who have also had to adapt to new working practices and safety guidelines to ensure that other Keyworkers such as those mentioned can go and do their essential jobs. 
    All keyworkers deserve recognition not just the NHS. 
    Given that your post included the words 'As someone in education who has also been working throughout the lockdown does any know of any deals, offered or freebies for those working in the education sector? Some recognition and appreciation of are [sic] efforts would be greatly welcomed too', it isn't unreasonable for others reading it to think you are indeed referring to yourself.

Pretty much anyone who is doing any sort of job can fall under the key worker category, but it becomes the old Gilbert & Sullivan line: 'When everyone is somebody, then no-one's anybody'. The NHS frontline staff are being singled out for any number of reasons - and rightly so. It doesn't mean that others are not valued, but it's harder to feel quite the same way about 'everybody' as opposed to a clearly defined group.

The other issue would be correctly identifying the members of the key worker group - NHS staff have NHS passes/other ID which makes it easy.

• dlusmandlusman Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could be argued that the country could survive for a few months without teachers working , but if the food supply chain /power /water /sewage and any number of other industries stopped the country would soon grind to a halt . So people in these industries could be said to be "more key" . As others have said - where do you draw the line ?
    Thinking of the question from a totally different angle - why not offer deals and discounts to the many who have become/will become unemployed because of the crisis , and so may no longer be able to  afford things at full price ?
  • MarconMarcon Forumite
    2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    dlusman said:

Thinking of the question from a totally different angle - why not offer deals and discounts to the many who have become/will become unemployed because of the crisis , and so may no longer be able to  afford things at full price ?
    That'll happen; it's called a sale. In this care almost certainly a fire sale to get rid of stock when retailers go bust...
  • Snowdrops_BluebellsSnowdrops_Bluebells Forumite
    9 posts
    First Post
    It could be worse OP...

DH has worked all through lockdown (as a key worker) and taken a pay cut so that furloughed staff can receive 100% of their regular wages...

Our eldest has paid uni fees and accommodation costs even though she has been back at home since mid March with sporadic online lectures in her last semester...

Second oldest was furloughed for 3 weeks and then back at work.

15 year old at home with sporadic online lessons... and an easily occupied 10 year old.

Everyone just needs to do their bit! 

I especially appreciate the supermarket workers who received quite a bit of unwarranted abuse due to supply issues...  and the bin men!