New Post Advanced Search

CS direct to 18 year old child

3 replies 101 views
A_DadA_Dad Forumite
2 posts
First Post
My son has informed me that his mum will be charging him rent when he turns 18.  He is at college full time, and he will be for at least another year.  He has a small part time job which gives him some (pocket money).  I may maintenance directly to her.
She claims to him that she will not receive any benefits when he turns 18, but I know full well that nothing will change.  She will continue to receive maintenance from me and she will also continue to receive child benefit as he is at college for more than 12 hours per week.  His little job should be for his spending money and not to pay rent to his mum.  
I figured if she was insistent on pushing this, as unfair as it may be, then can I just pay the money I was paying to her, directly to him instead as he would effectively be an adult who is now paying rent?  

Replies

• Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just curious would him moving in with you not be an appropriate option?
  • A_DadA_Dad Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    It is an option, however an inconvenient one for him, due to me not living anywhere near is social network or his college.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A_Dad said:
    It is an option, however an inconvenient one for him, due to me not living anywhere near is social network or his college.
    It would possibly benefit both you and him, but ofcourse travel time will pay a significant role in the decision making process. 

I dont believe that child maintenance can simply be paid to him. As it is for the benefit, rather than use by, of the child