Q-Twists earwax removal device any good or a scam even?

Comments

• ruffwood
    ruffwood Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I believe that the product for clearing or at least softening wax is called Earol....it was what my wife was advised to use before her ears were "syringed". Its not a syringe any more more of a mini vacuum cleaner which sucks the wax out. Again confirming what others have said, this in our area is not provided by the GP service and she had to pay around £50 for removal at an audiologist service on the high street
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A lot CCGs have withdrawn earwax removal as an NHS service and it now needs to be a serious problem before it can be referred to ENT
    What qualifies as a serious problem? I can't hear out of one ear and the problem is compounded by tinnitus in that ear which drives me nuts. The lack of treatments like this by doctors and shut down dentists which won't perform check ups and fillings is really detrimental to peoples general health. That's without the cancelling of routine operations and lack of referrals to consultants for problems that could be serious eg cancerous
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I bought something similar to what the OP mentions from Amazon for about £8 plus replacements. Worked okay but it really wasn't clearing it and I was having more trouble hearing the tv. Docs can't help so went to private hearing clinic, £80 to micro suction both ears. Only one required it so cost was £50. As it happened I have a very narrow ear canal and had to go back another two times at no extra charge. Well worth spending the money and have an appt to go back in December.

Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • MiserlyMartin
    I'm glad the private treatment worked for you. But the NHS is supposed to be there for us, we have all paid into it over the years (well those who have worked!), therefore we are entitled to NHS treatment for problems such as this. I don't like using words such as entitled, but in this case we are. Far more so than people who have boob jobs etc cosmetic surgery on the NHS, far cheaper too to get your ears done.
  • I can't believe I fell for this! Normally more careful but a very professional looking video via You Tube persuaded me it would work. I spent £36 on a very poorly made product that does not look like the promotional images and worst still, does not work! Will be contacting my Credit card company to see if I can stop/disput the payment. This really is a con!
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    It also sounds a bit like Q-tips which is a Unilever trade name for cotton swabs.  Perhaps Unilever could be interested in stopping them using the name, although it may not be close enough.
  • pjdj
    pjdj Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would be really interested in reviews of various products for softening/removing wax. What sort of ear drops work best?
  • I have tried "Waxsol" from Chem Warehouse which are droplets for your ear.
    It took me several tries to get it right and it kinda works in loosening the wax.
    I just put the recommended amount of drops as instructed and put some cotton wool over the ear before I go to sleep and try my best not to sleep on that side (that's the hard part).
    It took about three days, but it worked, I went to see my doctor afterwards to see if I can get it removed completely, since I thought the wax had melted enough, but apparently I still had more that had been solidified and the machine just wouldn't cut it.
    The whole process is a little tedious and you need a lot of patience, but it does work
  • MiserlyMartin
    The trouble is with GP surgeries removing this service is that it is a very skilled job that must be performed with great care. Going to the high street to get this done is not only expensive it could be dangerous if poorly trained people make a mistake and cause damage to the eardrum. Sometimes wax gets very deep in the canal and needs 'fishing' out by very skilled people. With high street companies working for profit and rushing jobs to achieve maximum profits, mistakes and ear damage will surely be made. I support this government and believed them when they said that the NHS would not be privatised. Removing this service from GP's suggests otherwise
  • I also saw that youtube video but it did not get me satisfied. So I went on searching a lot to know the reality behind Q Twists and the all I concluded is that it scientifically these kinds of devices are not trust worthy. They might harm your ears. Instead, you should see your doctor in case of any problem related to your ears.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback