New Post Advanced Search

Prom dress payment

1 reply 106 views
adamjladamjl Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
HI

This is my first post and I am looking for some advice. Our daughter was due to have her prom this year but it has understandably been cancelled. We ordered her dress through a local shop last October and paid the deposit. Now that the prom has been cancelled we have contacted the shop who have said that the full payment still needs to be made. When I have queried this they have said they when the dress was ordered my wife would have been made aware verbally that full payment is required regardless of circumstances once it has been ordered (she doesn't recall this being said). They have also stated that the shop owner would have signed something to confirm this (we don't have a copy of this). My question is if this was only discussed verbally and my wife has not signed anything are we still liable to pay the outstanding amount? I am more than happy to pay if my wife has signed something to this effect but just wanted to see where we stood if she hasn't.
Thanks 

Replies

• suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Verbal, pah means nothing. Ask to see ‘whatever’ has been signed, but  do it in person rather than email or telephone as they’re likely to create one just for show.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.