What is the best way to finance a car/van when I am not working?

Options
local_yokel
local_yokel Posts: 8 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Dear MSE,
I need a car or van to start up my own business (very early days yet). I am mortgage free and jointly own my house with my partner. My partner works part time and I left my last job at the end of February but this was voluntary, as I was completely stressed with the role in distribution sales. So wanted to step away and set up on my own. Unfiortunetly with hindsight, it would have been better had I stayed their as at least I would have been furloughed, as have many of my former colleagues. I did speak to my former employer, but when asked if they would re-employ me so that I could get a furlough payment, they outright refused.
So I need to purchase a vehicle (as my company car went back). I have little capital savings as we have paid the mortgage off earlier in the year. As I am not working, and have two smallish loans against my name, (wifes car loan £6K balance and furniture £4K balance) I dont want to apply for another loan.
I have looked at equity release, but is there another way I could potentail copnsider as I have the house as security or should I utilise the equity in the house???
I have a good credit rating but very cautious about taking on expensive debt at this time.
Please could you suggest my options?
Many thanks.

Comments

• m-holland
    m-holland Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I did speak to my former employer, but when asked if they would re-employ me so that I could get a furlough payment, they outright refused.
    wow
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How old are you?
    £10k worth of debt with no job may become a big problem going forward and that's before any payments towards a vehicle?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The OP is mortgage free so in a good position and I doubt that young that they won't be able to manage a strategy to deal with current debt liabilities.

Regarding the car, can the OP share his wife's car in the short term while setting up the business?

Or, an older car to start with.

Alternatively, a business plan and business start up loan might be an option to consider.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    The OP is mortgage free so in a good position and I doubt that young that they won't be able to manage a strategy to deal with current debt liabilities.

Regarding the car, can the OP share his wife's car in the short term while setting up the business?

Or, an older car to start with.

Alternatively, a business plan and business start up loan might be an option to consider.
    Did you read the OP's first paragraph?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Er, yes.  Did you?
    I am not in the habit of just making random comments on a public forum.
    I also read your post with the query about the OP's age.  I did not see the immediate relevance of that to the situation, but clearly you have a chain of thought, so did not diss you.
    Are you going to share what your problem is with my post, or keeping that to yourself?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    With no regular income (beyond your wifes part time job) I would not advise further borrowing and definitely do not remortgage the house.  I doubt you will get any borrowing approved anyway.  

Have you done a business plan?  Starting a business is not easy especially with no capital behind you so in hindsight again it might have been better to keep the money back earlier on in the year rather than pay it off the mortgage. You can investigate business start up loans but I would recommend you think long and hard about this and do some research before going any further as many as 50% businesses fail in the first five years and in the current climate that statistic is probably not going to improve.  I am not saying this will apply to you but taking some time to think and do some research before jeopardising your home and taking on a debt for a car or van would be sensible.  Starting a business with no cash, unless you have a partner who can come in with you will probably involve you not forking out for things like vans or cars immediately.  Will you need tools?  Can you use your wife's car when she is not using it? Is it possible to just work from home without a car until you get some money behind you? Do you have any connections which makes you think you can make a success  of the business? These are all things you need to think about before deciding to fork out several thousand pounds on a vehicle. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Car sharing with your wife or buying whatever you can afford to pay for outright are your only real options here.  in any case, risking your house as security for a car purchase would be madness.      
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options

Er, yes.  Did you?
    I am not in the habit of just making random comments on a public forum.
    I also read your post with the query about the OP's age.  I did not see the immediate relevance of that to the situation, but clearly you have a chain of thought, so did not diss you.
    Are you going to share what your problem is with my post, or keeping that to yourself?
    Problem? He left his employment then wanted to go back to be furloughed?
    With no income he aint going to diss gettin a loan for a van.
    The business plan I agree with - but no bank is dissing him with 100% loan for a vehicle - he will have to provide up to 50%.
  • MinuteNoodles
    MinuteNoodles Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You won't get any finance with no income and existing debt. You're very unlikely to be able to remortgage because you have no income to pay for the finance.
    I would sign up to some agencies, get some work and save that money. £1000 will get you something that'd get you started. But as has been mentioned have you actually done a business plan and done your research to see if what you're doing is viable? If you were planning on getting a van and doing man with van type business world and dog seems to think that's a good idea so competition is fierce.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2020 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Small van or car? Buy a banger for 1£K cash to get you started.
    As above, using the roof over your head as security for a car loan is insane.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure