Remortgaged away but DD still taken

edited 1 June at 9:28AM in Mortgages & Endowments
5 replies 153 views
TottingtonTottington Forumite
39 posts
10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 1 June at 9:28AM in Mortgages & Endowments
Hi All

My fixed period deal with Halifax came to an end, and I remortgaged with First Direct. This completed last Tuesday (26th), and we received a completion statement from the conveyancer for First Direct showing no balance owing. First Direct contacted me asking me to arrange a Standing Order to themselves, which I have done.

This morning, Halifax took a DD for £1250, the value of a payment at their standard mortgage rate. 

Would I be correct to assume this is a mistake? I have tried to contact Halifax, but to no avail. I didn't want to push the "I am vulnerable" option on the telephone system. Would I be within my rights to contact my current account provider and use the DD guarantee to get the monies returned? I obviously don't want to leave a mark on my credit file.
Thanks!

Replies

• TimbosaurusTimbosaurus Forumite
    74 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    No way of knowing without looking at your completion statement from Halifax, it may or may now have allowed for that final payment as it would have been too late to remove it from the subsequent payment run.
    I would advise against making a DD guarantee claim until you know more.  If it has been taken in error, it is likely to be returned to you within a few days automatically, regardless.
  • kingstreetkingstreet Forumite
    36.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The payment will be refunded to the account it came from, but it may take a couple of weeks.This happens regularly.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • TottingtonTottington Forumite
    39 posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thank you for your help both, much appreciated.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    17.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'll take a bit of time for the redemption to hit the correct account at the Halifax and for them to shut down the account, and direct debits are set up a few days in advance, so this is pretty normal rather than a "mistake". You'll get the overpayment back automatically.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    72.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Direct debits are scheduled some 10 days in advance. Hence why they still get taken.

Recommendation is to let the DD remain in place in case something should happen to delay the remortgage.
    “Markets have been so good for so long, that many investors are trivialising the advanatages of actively managing portfolio risk" - Gervais Williams