New Post Advanced Search

Forehead skin

10 replies 319 views
alxnealxne Forumite
3 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
I've had really bad forehead skin for a long time. Last summer I went doctors about it and they said seborrheic dermatitis and advised eumovate, but since then I feel its got worse. Currently I'm not able to see a doctor due to the situation. But how it is now gets me down. I've attached how it is looking, this is just a small area since I don't feel comfortable posting it all. Does anyone know what I can do to help?

Replies

• avoidtheupsidedownbottlesavoidtheupsidedownbottles Forumite
    544 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Does it tend to happen in warm weather or when exerting yourself?  Do you use moisturiser etc?
  • alxnealxne Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Its probably worse in warmer weather, but its always there. I have gone through stages of using moisturiser but nothing seems to help it
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    5.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you normally wear your hair in a fringe?
  • avoidtheupsidedownbottlesavoidtheupsidedownbottles Forumite
    544 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Did it improve at all without moisturiser do you think?  Heavy moisturizers etc can trap perspiration against the skin causing irritation or little infections.  I would try a mild soap/cleanser, cold rinse and nothing else for a few days and see if that helps
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a shampoo for dandruff on your hair and keep moisturising the skin

Ive lived with since my teens. Extremes of temperature don't help.

if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • alxnealxne Forumite
    3 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Do you normally wear your hair in a fringe?
    No I don't have enough hair for that!
    Did it improve at all without moisturiser do you think?  Heavy moisturizers etc can trap perspiration against the skin causing irritation or little infections.  I would try a mild soap/cleanser, cold rinse and nothing else for a few days and see if that helps
    I've not been using the moisturiser for a few weeks and nothing has really changed. I've tried numerous moisturisesrs, I also bought a new face wash in the last month to try and help it but nothing
  • rach_krach_k Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely try anti-dandruff shampoo even if your scalp isn't affected and avoid 'normal' shampoos and conditioners.  Superdrug's Trichology range works really well for me.  If I use anything other than anti-dandruff shampoo, the SD on my face flares up within a couple of days.  If the skin isn't too near your eyes, you could try using the shampoo on it in the shower too - this is what I do just lower than my hairline, on my ears and sometimes on my eyebrows!

The combination of cleanser and moisturiser that works for me is Weleda's almond cleanser and Green People's scent free Light Day Moisturiser.  The Weleda almond facial lotion also worked but I switched to the GP because I avoid beeswax now.  DON'T skip the cleansing.  I find that I need to use a fairly rough cloth (like a cotton face cloth or terry towel wipe) with the cleanser and that helps gently remove any build up of skin/gunk, then using a gentle moisturiser soothes everything.  Using the cleanser without the cloth doesn't work nearly as well for me.
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Silicones aren't universally bad but they can often cause things like this if you're a bit sensitive to them. Have a look at the ingredients of anything you use or have tried on your face and scalp, and see whether they contain anything like dimethicone / cylopentasiloxane or any others ending in -cone or -xane. [Methyl(chloro)isothiazolionone are not silicones; they are preservatives, but they can be irritants and are banned in leave-on products.] Incidentally eumovate most definitely contains dimethicone.

If not, are there any other common ingredients in all the things you've tried that haven't worked (especially moisturisers)?

If it is SD then oils high in oleic acid might be actively unhelpful, as SD seems to be a combination of having an excess of malessezia yeast, oils for them to feed on (oily skin, so sebum, usually) and a sensitivity to the oleic acid that they produce. However if you are sensitive to oleic acid then just using something containing an oil high in it would very possibly provoke a reaction without needing the yeast to produce it. [Btw this is not medical advice; I'm only mentioning it because your dr already said it was SD. Whether they were correct or not is another matter and not one that I can comment on.]
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rach_k said:
    Definitely try anti-dandruff shampoo even if your scalp isn't affected and avoid 'normal' shampoos and conditioners.  Superdrug's Trichology range works really well for me.  If I use anything other than anti-dandruff shampoo, the SD on my face flares up within a couple of days.  If the skin isn't too near your eyes, you could try using the shampoo on it in the shower too - this is what I do just lower than my hairline, on my ears and sometimes on my eyebrows!

The combination of cleanser and moisturiser that works for me is Weleda's almond cleanser and Green People's scent free Light Day Moisturiser.  The Weleda almond facial lotion also worked but I switched to the GP because I avoid beeswax now.  DON'T skip the cleansing.  I find that I need to use a fairly rough cloth (like a cotton face cloth or terry towel wipe) with the cleanser and that helps gently remove any build up of skin/gunk, then using a gentle moisturiser soothes everything.  Using the cleanser without the cloth doesn't work nearly as well for me.
    I just had to resort to Nizoral shampoo today. I try not to use it often but my SD had got so bad these past two weeks. The relief was almost instant

I use a muslin cloth and at least once a week use a very gentle exfoliator. If I skip moisturising it gets bad very quickly 

if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • GersGers Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

I've been using this for a couple of months now to replace Nizoral and Head & Shoulders for my scalp psoriais.  So far...so good. It may help the forehead skin too.