New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Euro Cheque

9 replies 171 views
kah22kah22 Forumite
1.6K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭

I’d like some advice.  I’m living in Northern Ireland for a long time now but I originally came from the Rep of Ireland

Before the complete collapse I sold some shares in a Southern company. The shares were willed to me many, many years ago. My nest egg!

As you’ll appreciate the cheque came in Euro. If I take it to my local bank then, I assume, they will discount it quite heavily even though it will be going straight into my regular account until I start renovations next May

What I’m trying to discover is if there is any (legal) way I can get this cheque changed into Sterling without loosing  a big chunk of it. For convince sake I’d rather keep it in my Northern account but if I had to keep it down South till I needed it then I would, but I don’t think I could open an account there

Any suggestions? If you would prefer to contact me me privately then great. I just want to get this sorted out

Stay safe

Kevin

Replies

• edited 1 June at 8:17AM
    ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June at 8:17AM
    , I assume, they will discount it quite heavily even though it will be going straight into my regular account until I start renovations next May

Dont know what you mean about discount??
    If you lodge it into your current sterling account it has to be converted to sterling

The mid price is around 90p to the euro today

The bank will add a couple of pence probably give you 87p to the euro to this and there will be a foreign currency charge

If you need the money in sterling that is the only way

Opening a euro account in the south will not change this fact if you need it eventually in sterling
    The Euro sterling rate fluctuates on a daily basis and its difficult to second guess it
  • qwert_yuiopqwert_yuiop Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way to do it without getting caught with bank charges is to know someone like me who works in both states and has an account in both jurisdictions. I often change money for friends and relatives at actual rates, occasionally accepting a tip. PM me, maybe you live nearby.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only way to do it without getting caught with bank charges is to know someone like me who works in both states and has an account in both jurisdictions. I often change money for friends and relatives at actual rates, occasionally accepting a tip. PM me, maybe you live nearby.
    If the poster has a crossed cheque in their name how is it possible to pay into another euro account with different name?
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    He gets it cashed as euro in the south. Someone with a bank account in both states gives him the equivalent in Sterling. I do it pretty often. I’ve even paid for cars for southern colleagues buying in England.
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it a crossed cheque? Not indicated.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 4 June at 2:19PM
    ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 June at 2:19PM
    If the proceeds of the will was paid out by a solicitor that will be a crossed cheque with the recipients name.  That is my experience. 

Perhaps the poster should enlighten us?
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably the cheque came from a stockbroker.
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably the cheque came from a stockbroker.
    I read posters original post again so you are probably correct.
    The poster will know!
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I’m open to cash exchanges to our mutual benefit. Don’t let the banks make off with your money.