New Post Advanced Search

Rheumatoid arthritis bruising

4 replies 125 views
uknickuknick Forumite
1.2K posts
Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭
I was diagnosed with this last year and have been mitigating the effects by diet.  Just recently I've noticed my knees appear to bruise after walking about 3 miles.  In addition to that, they become warm to the touch and start to get a little sore.  By the next morning the symptoms have all gone away.  But, they crop up again when I next do a 3 mile walk.

What puzzles me is how a bruise can come and go so quickly.  I can understand how the warmth and soreness, caused by the inflammation, can disappear soon after stopping the exercise, but not the bruising.  Anybody go any suggestions?  

Replies

• unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think that is a common effect of RA. I don't think it's what we normally consider to be a bruise (damaged blood vessels) 
  • Ms_Mop_123Ms_Mop_123 Forumite
    61 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    Hi, I've had RA for just over 12 years now.  If my joints get inflamed they may go a little pink/red but nothing like a bruise. RA is such a complexed illness and we are prescribed really toxic drugs for it, even after twelve years of having it I still (via online groups) learn how it can attack the body.  In my methotrexate monitoring booklet it does say any unexplained bruising should be reported, I know if your platelets are low you bruise easily.  If I were you I'd ring my helpline up and report it. 
  • uknickuknick Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the answers.  Thinking about it, it's probably inflammation instead of bruising.  It doesn't help being colour blind with red and browns  :/
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm on MTX for psoriasis. I tend to get bruises develop from even light taps and the slightest graze or cut is still showing as a white scar months later.