Optical Prescription - What strength glasses for reading?

2»

Comments

• jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Looking for more advice regarding my prescription. When I had my eye test the optician said that I could have either bifocals or three set of spectacles, reading, computer and distance, I am not fussed with the bifocal option. Looking at my prescription there is no mention of my computer glasses prescription, or am I misreading something?
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well it will normally be about half of the reading addition but has not been specified on your prescription. However it does depend on your computer setup. If you have a large monitor, perhaps for graphics work, you would probably sit further from it than you would with a smaller monitor or laptop. In which case the addition would ideally be a bit less than it otherwise would.

In my experience it is very easy for reading glasses to be a bit too strong for everyday work. Fine if you just want to read holding your book like a choir boy or do intricate needlework but anything a bit further away starts to blur.

If you are ordering online and enter your prescription details, then specify that the glasses are "intermediate" (i.e. between reading and distance) they will likely supply with an addition of +1 (rather than your reading addition of +1.75). If they insist on a specific prescription you will have to go back to where you got your eyes tested.

• kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Its for the dispenser to calculate the intermediate ADD not the original presriber as it depends on the computer set up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback