Forum Home» Local MoneySaving» N. Ireland

NI Law regarding onsite accommodation for animal owners

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

NI Law regarding onsite accommodation for animal owners

3 replies 141 views
TX001TX001 Forumite
13 posts
Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all,
We are considering allowing a friend to graze sheep and horses on our land. We have an outhouse that already has a bathroom and kitchen installed by the previous property owner. The previous owner did not apply for planning permission therefore as it stands, the building is merely an outbuilding on the property.. 
Is my friend permitted to use this building for overnight accommodation in the event of animal emergency or in lambing season? 

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    16.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would anyone know is my first thought .
    Lots of bothies have no planning permission .
    Different though if its all fitted out with hot and cold running water .
    Thats a general observation based upon sheep herders in Yorkshire Scotland and the Whest of Ireland .
  • TX001TX001 Forumite
    13 posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Yes it is quite well equipped. It is carpeted in addition to the kitchen & bathroom. The previous owner used it as office space. A neighbour had told me that if there are animals on the land then the animal owner may be permitted to stay overnight from time to time just not on a permanent basis.
  • missilemissile Forumite
    11K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without planning permission it is not a habitable dwelling. However, I doubt there will be an issue unless a neighbour objects.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou: