Which industry for my next job

Good morning all.
The manufacturing industry I am in will have reduced sales,  limited opportunities,  and is a higher risk going forward.  In looking for my next employer,  which industry will be strong going forward? Which industries have the job seekers on here been preferring?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    All sectors have been hit badly and that's unlikely to change any time soon.  Distribution is one area which will always be required, along with funeral directors (and that isn't intended to be a joke).
  • lazer-zxr
    lazer-zxr Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks for the reply.  Distribution sounds good.  Do you mean Amazon type companies,  commercial logistics,  or domestic courier? .... not that many replies,  i thought more people would be proactively thinking about where opportunities might lie going fwd?
  • mat6413
    mat6413 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am in the same board currently working for BA. I will be looking at the care industry, maybe the hospital. 
  • Lomast
    Lomast Posts: 849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I work in fresh food production as an engineer and we have never been busier 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    lazer-zxr said:
    Thanks for the reply.  Distribution sounds good.  Do you mean Amazon type companies,  commercial logistics,  or domestic courier? .... not that many replies,  i thought more people would be proactively thinking about where opportunities might lie going fwd?
    Distribution covers all the areas you list, and many others.  You have to think for yourself which might best suit you.

• eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    There is always work in Logistics but note that it is generally low paid as it is seen as unskilled work. IT is still a big thing and certain bits within it can be well paid. Probably one of the most useful things you could do is research all industries that interest you and investigate how to get in and what the money is like.
  • Distribution - warehouse sending type companies doing really well.
    A couple of weeks back it was on our local news that a distribution company had to ask their staff to work overtime and weekends on top of normal hours to fulfill orders - I applied for a customer service & sales 18.5k job with one wholesale catering type company - 150+ Applicants for a company off the beaten track in West Suffolk whilst over in East Suffolk for a similar job it was just,,, 35 applicants.  Earlier this week I turned down a job interview for Junior Admin Assistant (yes I'm nearly 40 and still got offered!!) at 16k on the doorstep in engineering. ((yes it was a physical attend office for interview job)) but I decided I'm better not pursing something I don't know much about and as I'm not on 16k anymore didn't seem much point.  I want to imagine some young person got the opportunity really.  There was a great first time credit control/Junior Office Manager opportunity pop up to in a small biz but that went within hours as I was trying to work out the salary from the monthly only wage advertised for the job and thinking that be my ideal opportunity after a years experience of where I am now. 
    I'm just finishing work for the day now - I started at 9am and work in horticulture where it's all about the money.  Probably weather dependent, never been busier and I really can't get when it does slow down. (except maybe in snow and at Christmas!) if I'm lucky.
  • lazer-zxr
    lazer-zxr Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 August 2020 at 6:51AM
    So ..... an update after a couple of months. I have resigned from my job in manufacturing, and taken up a job with Amazon. I am so glad I have. The primary benefit is job security, the cloud of employer loss of business has dissipated, replace by a growing company with strong sales and a bright future. The engaged working culture is excellent, and it is a great environment to work in (as was manufacturing). The pay and benefits are excellent. It seems like Amazon are going to be offering a lot of opportunities across the country, so just thought I’d report a very positive experience after 1 month with them. I strongly advise considering which sectors are going to be strong going forward and take responsibility for your future. I understand these are difficult times, but it’s well worth taking steps to mitigate potential hardship, rather than reacting to downturns by blaming others or the environment we are in. Im happy to have made this move.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,661 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    lazer-zxr said:
     I strongly advise considering which sectors are going to be strong going forward and take responsibility for your future. I understand these are difficult times, but it’s well worth taking steps to mitigate potential hardship, rather than reacting to downturns by blaming others or the environment we are in. 
    Great that you've made a move which suits you, but perhaps a bit less finger wagging at other people who may not have the same flexibility of choice would have been good.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • AW618
    AW618 Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post
    This is completely pointless as you haven't indicated whether you wok for Amazon as a senior international manager or out delivering parcels.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback