Selling old DVDs

Options
We have hundreds of DVDs that we never use / watch anymore and want to sell them using a service like Music Magpie. However, I’ve downloaded 5 or 6 apps of well known companies who buy them and with the very occasional exception, every DVD we scan is being rejected by every company. The vast majority of these are well known movies/box sets etc. 

Is there a reason for this does anyone know? Are none of these companies actually buying DVDs anymore? I did wonder if it was a temporary thing due to COVID-19 but it’s odd that the occasional one is getting accepted. 

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,204 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2020 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Mahsroh said:
    We have hundreds of DVDs that we never use / watch anymore and want to sell them using a service like Music Magpie. However, I’ve downloaded 5 or 6 apps of well known companies who buy them and with the very occasional exception, every DVD we scan is being rejected by every company. The vast majority of these are well known movies/box sets etc. 

Is there a reason for this does anyone know? Are none of these companies actually buying DVDs anymore? I did wonder if it was a temporary thing due to COVID-19 but it’s odd that the occasional one is getting accepted. 
    It’s a rare DVD that’s worth anything any more unfortunately. I’m currently clearing a lot of clutter and giving stuff away for free and most people enquiring about my car boot lots are asking me not to include any DVDs or books in the free bags as they can’t do anything with them. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I suspected this may the the case.l Guess we’ll just sell the few that we are being offered money for to music magpie or similar and just get rid of the rest. 
  • PrudentPeter
    PrudentPeter Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I sold DVDs to Music Magpie about 5 years ago and they were only worth about 50p then, times have moved on quite drastically since then. I certainly no longer buy DVDs, let alone ones that are probably on streaming services for free and even if that specific one isn't, there are hundreds of others to choose from.
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone. In the end Ziffit offered us around £50 but this mainly covered box sets and the like but most movies etc they wouldn't take, neither would any of the other similar companies like Music Magpie. In the end we offered them to neighbours FOC and about half were taken. The remainder went to charity. 
    Still, £50 is better than nothing and it means we've got rid of a load of clutter. 
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Last time I was earwigging in Cash Converters, they were paying 1p per DVD, because they have so many.
  • darrend2812
    darrend2812 Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As a rule of thumb, If you are getting anything over 50p from the likes of Music magpie or equivalent, it is probably worth selling it yourself on Ebay. That's what I do anyway :) 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback