Agency vs umbrella company

MeganJ93
MeganJ93 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 14 May 2020 at 6:11PM in Boost your income
I am a secondary school teacher currently working through an agency. I get paid weekly through an umbrella company and i was just wondering if this is the best route or is getting paid direct by the agency better? The umbrella company take a cut of my wages, only a small margin and there are also employment charges taken. Whenever i have asked for a clear breakdown from the agency i get ignored. I don't really understand all this so any advice or guidance would be helpful. Thank you.

Comments

• Ivana_B_Rich
    Ivana_B_Rich Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I'm by no means an expert but this thread might help.
    I'm not suggesting you go down the Ltd company route but this thread gives some good information on how umbrella companies work and will clarify some of the charges you are paying.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/67248697#Comment_67248697

With an agency most of it is done and you are treated as a standard PAYE employee.

If the company you are using are not being transparent in their charges maybe it's time to look around at some of the other umbrellas. There are plenty out there

Saving a house deposit. Member no.7 100% of target :D

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • sexymouse
    sexymouse Posts: 6,054 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Having worked for both umbrella companies in the past and on PAYE with my agency now, I'd definitely recommend the latter. I know quite a few supply teachers have been unfairly treated when it comes to being furloughed by some umbrella companies and PAYE gives you more protection in this instance.
    Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    I married Moon 8/4/2011, baby boy born 26/9/2012, Angel Baby Poppy born 8/11/15, Rainbow baby boy born 11/2/2017
    £997.87/£2020
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure