Forum Home» Coronavirus support and help

Payment holidays and premium reviews confirmed for insurance customers struggling due to coronavirus

New Post Advanced Search

Payment holidays and premium reviews confirmed for insurance customers struggling due to coronavirus

4 replies 181 views
MSE_NaomiMSE_Naomi MSE Staff
489 posts
Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
The financial regulator has confirmed it will introduce measures to help insurance customers struggling during the coronavirus pandemic - meaning insurers will need to assess whether they can change what's covered to offer customers lower premiums. Insurers may also be expected to offer customers payment holidays of up to three months...

Read the full story:

'Payment holidays and premium reviews confirmed for insurance customers struggling due to coronavirus'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• TommyAVTommyAV Forumite
    5 posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Are premiums likely to reduce as a direct result?
    Our multi-policy expires on 22nd May; we’re leaving Admiral has they have inflated their prices. We’ve found a much better deal with Churchill, however do we hold off until the last minute in the hope that the changes might mean premiums go down, or do we just go ahead and buy now regardless?
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    74.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Premiums for what type of insurance? Premiums are ultimately risk based and for the actual cover provided. Cheaper products may have less cover or higher excesses. 
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton
  • TommyAVTommyAV Forumite
    5 posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    @Thrugelmir 2 x car and 1 x contents.
    I understand risk vs premiums.
    My question was spurring from the above article which implies Insurers are ‘re-assessing risk’ with a view of bringing payments down and is it worth holding off to see if there is a generalised fall in premiums, or just buying now as it will have little effect.
  • ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    74.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    In recent years I've reverted to using a local broker. At least then we obtain the optimum cover for our needs. Easy to compare the effect of excesses, mileage allowances etc quickly. 
    “Buy value, not market trends or the economic outlook. Individual stocks determine the market, not vica versa." - Sir John Templeton