Cheap PC Multiplayer non fighting/driving games

calleywcalleyw Forumite
9.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
Can anyone recommend some fun but cheap non fighting/driving multiplayer pc games.  Have been playing crazy golf with someone who has is shielding but they are one handed. But want some more games to play.  Don't want to play board games but maybe some puzzle type games. I have looked on steam and nothing has jumped out at me.
Thanks in advance
Yours
Calley x
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Replies

• edited 19 May 2020 at 10:44PM
    teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 May 2020 at 10:44PM
    MyPlayCity has hundreds of free games, including several still on sale. They are quite legal and are financed by advertising.
    However, Steam has the most comprehensive list of games on offer and ,if you look for current offers, you will get a list from which you can go straight to details and demos.
    You have been very vague about what you do like besides the cricket game and puzzle, but there are dozens of puzzle types from actual jigsaws to hidden object, 3-in-a-row, mosaics, platformers and things like Lemmings.

• jonnygee2jonnygee2 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is a really fun co-op game that could be played one handed.
  • calleywcalleyw Forumite
    9.7K Posts
    Forumite
    teddysmum said:
    MyPlayCity has hundreds of free games, including several still on sale. They are quite legal and are financed by advertising.
    However, Steam has the most comprehensive list of games on offer and ,if you look for current offers, you will get a list from which you can go straight to details and demos.
    You have been very vague about what you do like besides the cricket game and puzzle, but there are dozens of puzzle types from actual jigsaws to hidden object, 3-in-a-row, mosaics, platformers and things like Lemmings.

Not sure what extra info you require,  Any type of puzzle game is fine but the most important thing is It needs to be a co-op game so we can play together.  As we are in different locations. 
    I have steam but there are so many games so I want someone to recommend a game that they have  already played.

Yours
    Calley x

• edited 20 May 2020 at 10:30AM
    dan958dan958 Forumite
    770 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 20 May 2020 at 10:30AM
    Puzzle AND co-op is not a very common thing.
    There is the LEGO games which have some puzzle elements to them
    Portal series
    Trine series

Although these games one handed may be difficult, unless you have some type of adaptive controller.

You can also try some local multiplayer games online via https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay
    9.7K Posts
    Forumite
    dan958 said:
    Portal series
    Trine series

Although these games one handed may be difficult, unless you have some type of adaptive controller.

You can also try some local multiplayer games online via https://store.steampowered.com/remoteplay
    I know and hence why I asked what was around and what people have played.  There is portal 2. Puzzle type adventure games appeal to us both.  The type where you have to find things.
    The other person plays on a laptop with no additional adaptations and they are not really a shoot em up type person even if they were two handed.  And there is only so many times you can play golf with friends before it gets a bit samey and and boring.
    Will plough on and see what I can find.
    Yours
    Calley x

• dan958dan958 Forumite
    770 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    calleyw said:
    dan958 said:
    Portal series
    Trine series

I know and hence why I asked what was around and what people have played.  There is portal 2. Puzzle type adventure games appeal to us both.  The type where you have to find things.
    The other person plays on a laptop with no additional adaptations and they are not really a shoot em up type person even if they were two handed.  And there is only so many times you can play golf with friends before it gets a bit samey and and boring.
    Yours
    Calley x

Maybe try looking at some point and click adventures? They are not co-op, but there is nothing to stop you working together via a screenshare. 
    Games like Monkey Island, The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, Deponia, The Longest Journey. 
    9.7K Posts
    Forumite
    dan958 said:
    Yours
    Calley x

Maybe try looking at some point and click adventures? They are not co-op, but there is nothing to stop you working together via a screenshare. 
    Games like Monkey Island, The Longest Journey, Grim Fandango, Deponia, The Longest Journey.
    Yes we could try that.
    Yours
    Calley x

• Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One of my favourite co-op games has been Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/341800/Keep_Talking_and_Nobody_Explodes/

It's meant to replicate the classic film scenario where the hero defuses the bomb with the help of a remote expert over the phone.  One person plays the actual game and has access to the bomb while the other person has the instructions on how to defuse the bomb, the two have to communicate effectively to defuse the bomb.  The bomb itself is made up of different modules starting off simple and then working up to more modules and more complex designs so to begin with you're really slow trying to describe the bomb and the person trying to find the right notes in the manual but you quickly develop your own naming and similar to quickly identify the parts on the bomb and the relevant information the person with the manual needs.

The other co-op I've got on well with is overcooked which there's now a sequel to that offers online play I believe.  Each person is a chef in a kitchen and you only have one action so the controls are very simple, you have to co-ordinate between each other to handle the sequence of tasks to produce the dishes so it starts off simple with soup where you need to take out three vegetables, chop each up, put them into a soup pan, boil, put it in a plate, serve the plate then clean it when it returns.  It gets more complex with fancier dishes and kitchens that have various features you need to work around.  My brother and I would often fail or do badly to begin with but would start to work out strategies to efficiently get through each stage which makes it satisfying.
  • I like Freelancer Discovery which is an update to the 2003 game released by Microsoft. It has been released by Microsoft and people have been modifying the game and extending it. It is a great game IMO which can be played on a very low end PC seeing as it is a 2003 game. The graphics have been updated and it has been made widescreen rather than the original 4:3.
    There are quite a few different Freelancer servers worldwide and there is a Vanilla FL (1.0) server in the UK. Freelancer Discovery is v 93.0 ATM.
    There is trading, discovery, lots of different ships and factions, missions and a lot to keep people interested. It can be played easily on integrated graphics and does not need a high end graphics card. There is a single player game and a multiplayer online or lan game. Did I mention that it is free as well?
    The online support forum promotes the use of Discord for communication which might be worth taking a look at.
    Discovery website link
    Freelancer Discovery thread with download links to both Freelancer (which is required) and Discovery. Unfortunately it is not 100% up to date so further updates will be required. The current version is v93.0 but the version available to download is v91. It will auto update to keep it in sync with the latest release.
    The original Freelancer
    You could start out by mining for Helium in Pennsylvania with your relative which can fund ship and weapon purchases. Then when you have a larger ship you can trade or take on missions depending upon your choices. There is a lot to it believe me because I am still learning after about 6 weeks playing.