Time to get my house in order!

So after learning the hard way how to manage my finances and money over the last few years I have finally arrived at a point where we are in a position to start overpaying on the mortgage. It’s not a massive amount just short of £64,000 and with 6 years 11 months left to run. In my head I want to get this gone in 3 years so we can have a bit of financial freedom and use our mortgage payment to build up additional savings for semiretirement or even retirement, By then I will be 52 and OH will be 59. I will give more details in the next couple of posts, obviously with everything that’s going on currently at the moment I’m not sure how my 1st overpayment will look but I’m determined to make a start, being at home more has really made me take stock of what’s important to me and I want to act on it and start making my dreams come true rather than frittering money away that could actually benefit me and my OH. Bit of a rambling 1st post but I really want to get started now!
Aiming to be mortgage free in 3 years June 2023. 
May 2020 - £63,493
Jan 2021 - £56,145
April 2022 - £44,750

Comments

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Good luck on your MFW journey! :smile:
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • longway2go
    longway2go Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Lots of luck with your dream, remember everything overpaid makes a difference. 
    Mortgage Aug 2019 161,000 :eek::eek::eek:Nov 2019 156,500:T Jan 2020 153,122:T, Apr 2020 149,500, Apr2021 139, 675, Oct 2021 136,823, Dec 2021 136,120🙂EF 0/12,000 (0%)😕 (5062.44 was ERC), Jan 2023 128,650. Our Mortgage is never going to be as high as it is today. :jOnwards and downwards to a better life for our family. :jJust keep swimming
  • jenni_fer
    jenni_fer Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Good Luck!
    Set yourself mini challenges each month / few months to keep motivated?
  • Thick_n_Thin
    Thick_n_Thin Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    jenni_fer said:
    Good Luck!
    Set yourself mini challenges each month / few months to keep motivated?
    rkd_999 said:
    Good luck for your new diary - I agree I find writing everything down in relation to spending makes for sobering reading!! And makes it easier to spend less!
    Thanks both.. definitely up for setting mini challenges each month to keep me on track, I find if I use MSE daily rather than dipping in and out it helps keep me focused and on the straight and narrow so to speak, I think a challenge for the remainder of the month really needs to be around grocery shopping, I need to go back to Aldi rather than Tesco which I’ve been using for sheer convenience whilst on lockdown however it’s costing me a fortune, so this needs to stop this week. I’ve spent much of the afternoon reading diary’s on here and have also been reading The escape artist blog around how to achieve financial freedom, a lot is plain common sense but there is some learning to be done around investing that I want to explore further, I’ve also looked at where my pension pot is up to, I’ll post tomorrow on the true state of affairs currently and more on what I hope to achieve over the next couple of years. Being at home has given me a lot of thinking time and made me realise I don’t actually need what I have been conditioned to think I need!
    May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
  • South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Great work, some time spent on introspection now will pay dividends for your future goals
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • Thick_n_Thin
    Thick_n_Thin Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Great work, some time spent on introspection now will pay dividends for your future goals
    I agree, I love the plotting and planning and getting things out of my head and down on paper. I’m fortunate that my OH is completely on board and is quite frugal by nature, it’s me who is the spendy one in our relationship!
    So the financial situation currently looks like this

mortgage - £63,470 with 6 years 11months left, current rate is 2.94 currently fixed until June 2021, we can overpay by 10% per year. Current monthly payment is £855 per month, the high payment is due to us swapping from interest only to repayment a few years ago.
    credit card - £970 outstanding on 0%, would like to have this paid off by end of year, minimum payment is around £12 but have been paying around £100 per month to try and get rid ASAP.
    Savings1 -£1389 this is our emergency fund for things that we haven’t prepared for ( broken appliances ect) would like to get this to around £1500.
    Savings 2 - £ 9760 this is our when sh£t hits the fan money and can never be touched ( loss of income, redundancy ect) I’m really hoping that this won’t be touched over the next few months as it has taken years to build this up, it was an investment product that I have recently cashed in as it was loosing money, we lost around £3k in six months so I cashed in, not sure if I did the right thing but it’s done now.
    Monthly ( on paper anyway) we have around £1k leftover after everything has been paid so I’m really optimistic that £300 overpayment could be achieved, I also have a couple of pots set up for utilities that I try and pay £150 into for regular bills. 
    OH also inherited some cash a few months ago however this is completely his money and the circumstances are still quite raw and painful for him so he has put this to one side for the time being as he is not ready to deal with it all emotionally at the minute, he has said that he will pay a chunk of it off the mortgage probably when our current deal comes to an end but he’s not ready to discuss any further and I won’t push him on this.
    We both have company pensions which I still need to look into as I’m not sure how much we would need to enable us to retire early, I think my 1st challenge will be to see consistency with the mortgage overpayments otherwise I’ll get overwhelmed and give up.

May 2020 - £63,493
    Jan 2021 - £56,145
    April 2022 - £44,750
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family