New Post Advanced Search

Wedding Venue Refund

1 reply 121 views
Jayjay010Jayjay010 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
My wedding date is in July and my Venue havent yet given us the chance to postpone. We called to advise that we have elderly family, we also have family coming from Spain. We feel that they will all be t risk if the wedding is to proceed. So we asked them if we can postpone. They have advised we are unable to do so, it has to be the venues decision once the goverment have confirmed weddings cant take place. The venue have already postponed all June weddings.They have shown us they have no interest in us as a customer. They even said we still HAD to pay our final payment of £2000 on 2nd May. So we have now paid over £10,000 deposits. We chose this Venue for a summer wedding, it wouldnt have been our choice for a Winter or Spring wedding. So if the venue eventually called us to postpone we wouldnt want to accept a different time of year. We also chose to get married on a weekend, so if they only gave us midweek dates then we wouldnt have chosen that venue either. Where do we stand? Are we stuck with them and what ever choices they give. Or do we stand a chance of Refund if went down that route.

Replies

  • edited 5 May at 11:27AM
    UndervaluedUndervalued Forumite
    6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 May at 11:27AM
    Jayjay010 said:
    My wedding date is in July and my Venue havent yet given us the chance to postpone. We called to advise that we have elderly family, we also have family coming from Spain. We feel that they will all be t risk if the wedding is to proceed. So we asked them if we can postpone. They have advised we are unable to do so, it has to be the venues decision once the goverment have confirmed weddings cant take place. The venue have already postponed all June weddings.They have shown us they have no interest in us as a customer. They even said we still HAD to pay our final payment of £2000 on 2nd May. So we have now paid over £10,000 deposits. We chose this Venue for a summer wedding, it wouldnt have been our choice for a Winter or Spring wedding. So if the venue eventually called us to postpone we wouldnt want to accept a different time of year. We also chose to get married on a weekend, so if they only gave us midweek dates then we wouldnt have chosen that venue either. Where do we stand? Are we stuck with them and what ever choices they give. Or do we stand a chance of Refund if went down that route.
    No, if they can't hold the wedding on the agreed date you are entitled to a refund.

    However, theoretically (I know it is very unlikely) at the moment the July wedding could go ahead. Until such time as they are forced to cancel, you run the risk or losing deposits or having to accept alternative dates if you choose to cancel, Be careful what you agree to and, given how much money is involved, get some professional advice.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support