Getting nervous now!

Options
Well I’m almost ready to press submit, will be on Monday. Tomorrow all my loan payments will be unpaid. I have already missed this months payment to Very and Next. I am
using this money to pay the bankruptcy fee. Very have already sent me 4 reminder texts/emails since it was missed on Monday. I know this is the right option I just feel so nervous about actually doing it. One question, will o2 will be told about my bankruptcy? I have until September on my contract and I am not in arrears with them. I was hoping I could keep the same number. They keep offering me an early upgrade now. Could I do this before bankruptcy? I’m only thinking as should my current phone stop working I won’t be able to get a contract whilst undischarged. Would the OR tell me off? Would o2 cancel
it anyway? 
Thanks 

Comments

• george_112
    george_112 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also, the utility company? I am actually in a small amount of credit with them. Will
    they put me on a prepayment meter or will the OR leave them alone and I can continue as I am with this
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 April 2020 at 7:21PM
    Options
    Plenty of cheap mobiles to be had, usually people who go bankrupt have a long history of late payments or defaults, stretching back months if not years, one or two missed payments is nothing, it depends how much your mobile bill actually is, there will be an allowance in the budget for it, but anything over that allowence forget it, get a cheap PAYG sim card, giffgaff is a favorite, expencive mobile contracts, especially if its the latest iphone, will not be allowed.
    You will have to ask the utility company the meter.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • george_112
    Options
    Thanks, I’m going to just keep my phone as it is. I’m in contract for another 6 months, it’s £40 per month. I’ve ordered a payg sim so I have it if needed. Might be a stupid question but would o2 let me keep the same number on a payg sim if they terminate the contract? Im hoping as not in arrears I will be able to just see out the contract now. 
  • george_112
    Options
    I’ve only been managing to pay bills the last few months as my brother has been sending me the money for them. Obviously with this situation his financial position has changed and he is no longer able to do so going forward so I’ve had to face reality
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I’m going to just keep my phone as it is. I’m in contract for another 6 months, it’s £40 per month. I’ve ordered a payg sim so I have it if needed. Might be a stupid question but would o2 let me keep the same number on a payg sim if they terminate the contract? Im hoping as not in arrears I will be able to just see out the contract now. 
    If needs be you can get a PAC code in the normal way, and include any outstanding balance in the bankruptcy 

It’s possible that o2 would block your phone, but less likely than had it been say in the first 6 months. 

It maybe worth speaking to o2 retentions team, they maybe keen to keep getting something instead of nothing. If not id look at other networks, eg giffgaff, voxi ,smarty etc as it’ll almost certainly be cheaper than o2 payg
  • parrot23
    parrot23 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi George. I also had very, next and o2.
    I was due an upgrade and changed to a pay as you go sim before the bankruptcy with o2 and kept my number. I had a contract for one of my children but that was included within the bankruptcy and it now works only like an iPod would but my husband has since sorted her out with a phone on a different provider and in his name. I hope this helps. O2 were one of my persistent creditors I mentioned in my own br experience thread, they are quite relentless. Stay calm, try not to let the nerves get the better of you. Nearly there...!
  • parrot23
    parrot23 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Also my utility bills I was also in credit and they weren’t part of the Bankruptcy. The OR asked if I owed money, I said no I was in credit and my direct debit has been unaffected x
  • george_112
    Options
    parrot23 said:
    I was due an upgrade and changed to a pay as you go sim before the bankruptcy with o2 and kept my number. I had a contract for one of my children but that was included within the bankruptcy and it now works only like an iPod would but my husband has since sorted her out with a phone on a different provider and in his name. I hope this helps. O2 were one of my persistent creditors I mentioned in my own br experience thread, they are quite relentless. Stay calm, try not to let the nerves get the better of you. Nearly there...!
    Thanks, I took my o2 contract out with Carphone warehouse, so it’s not on o2 refresh and when I check on the o2 account it says device plan paid. So I’m hoping they don’t block the phone. Do o2 automatically find out about the bankruptcy even if I don’t owe them anything? 
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    parrot23 said:
    Thanks, I took my o2 contract out with Carphone warehouse, so it’s not on o2 refresh and when I check on the o2 account it says device plan paid. So I’m hoping they don’t block the phone. Do o2 automatically find out about the bankruptcy even if I don’t owe them anything? 
    No. Only creditors are informed by the OR. 
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    Options
    parrot23 said:

if the device plan is paid, the phone is yours, o2 can't block the phone unless you report it as stolen. They might decide they don't want you as a customer, but they can't block your phone due to that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback