Forum Home» Mortgages & Endowments

Mortgage Affordability Calculator Query

New Post Advanced Search

Mortgage Affordability Calculator Query

3 replies 262 views
Hello

I have been using various mortgage affordability calculators online to get a rough idea how much it would be possible to borrow.

One of the common questions is “Your next monthly credit card payment” - I just wanted a bit of clarity on the following:

- Is the total amount I owe on my credit cards at this time
- Or the total minimum payments added together
- Or how much I am actually paying each month towards the credit cards

Just a bit of clarity would be great so I can make sure I have a clear idea of what properties are in my reach.

Thanks 🙂

Replies

• JMA74JMA74 Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Usually lenders will take 3% of your balances.
    Most calculators I use ask for total balance rather than payments, and if they ask for payment then I'm expected to have looked up and converted using the lenders calculation. 

If you want a (usually) more accurate calculator just Google the lenders name and stick 'for intermediaries' after it.   That will get you to our calculators
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.

please do not contact to request representation
  • hiyaimtelhiyaimtel Forumite
    17 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    @JMA74 Thanks for your help! That’s perfect 🙂
  • SensorySensory Forumite
    169 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Using cashback/reward credit cards for all spending and paying off balances in full every month, I put £0 into all calculators, as did my broker. Anything higher would be an inaccurate reflection of affordability.