Forum Home» Mortgages & Endowments

New Mortgage - Direct Debit not taken

New Post Advanced Search

New Mortgage - Direct Debit not taken

5 replies 201 views
Remortgaged and switched to Halifax which completed at the start of April.

The first payment is due to be taken on the first of May, and I have a text from Halifax confirming this and the account its coming from.

However, that's tomorrow and the direct debit hasn't been set up yet (with the bank). And I can't see any references to a direct debit in my mortgage account.

I tried calling them but any option thats not "I can't pay my mortgage" just cuts you off and says to call after the apocalypse.

I'm nervous that I don't want a missed payment on my credit file.
I can make a manual payment, but then what if they set it up later in the month and it's taken twice?

Replies

• edited 30 April 2020 at 10:08AM
    RedFraggleRedFraggle Forumite
    922 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2020 at 10:08AM
    My Halifax remortgage also has the first payment going tomorrow and I can see the direct debit has been set up via my Barclays online banking app. Have you checked your bank account? 
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • md258md258 Forumite
    153 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Can you see the payment in your online banking? If not, don't worry as not all banks will show DDs until the first payment goes out.

I'd say check it first thing tomorrow and if it hasn't gone out give them a ring and you will then qualify for the "I can't pay my mortgage" option
  • surreysaversurreysaver Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What bank are you with? Some banks don't show a direct debit set up until its actually been taken for the first time.
    NatWest and RBS are examples of this. 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    11.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have a look at the T&C's as that will say when your first payment will come out, they may not have had enough time between completion and tomorrow to set up the DD and it may be June.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter how short-staffed they are, I doubt they'll forget to collect your payment.