New Post Advanced Search

Wage pay

5 replies 140 views
april2020april2020 Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello ,
We are normally getting paid on 29th of each month,however today is 29 and the money are not in the bank account. 
Is it legal for the employer to do so and what time we should have the money in for as his argument can be that is still time until the end of the day .
Another question I have ,how does it work if payday falls on a saturday ,sunday or bank holiday. 
Should we get paid the day before or is up to the employer?
Many thanks ! 

Replies

• JReacher1JReacher1 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to ask your employer really.  For me the salary arrives on the 28th and if that is a none working day then we get paid the working day before this. 
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    13K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long have you worked there?

To answer your actual questions:
    Up until 23:59:59 is still within the contracted time
    Neither Saturday, Sunday nor Bank holiday have any special meaning. You are due to be paid on the 29th. That is when money should appear. If employer sends payroll early, some banks do credit the accounts ahead of time.

To pre-emt your next question: what can i do if i dont receive my money today?

Nothing. It's a breach of contract. You would ultimately need to go to court to get it paid.

• keepcalmandstayoutofdebtkeepcalmandstayoutofdebt Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you work for say a small business, they can pay anytime I'm afraid.
    I'm the 28th but wages weren't transferred until the waking hours of this morning, the 29th.  It wasn't a shock as my first payday come 5pm on the day, the work men were like who wants to tell the boss it is payday....
    It's bigger businesses who work more fixed to rules and consistency. 

• DoxDox Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    april2020 said:
    Hello ,
    We are normally getting paid on 29th of each month,however today is 29 and the money are not in the bank account. 
    Is it legal for the employer to do so and what time we should have the money in for as his argument can be that is still time until the end of the day .
    Another question I have ,how does it work if payday falls on a saturday ,sunday or bank holiday. 
    Should we get paid the day before or is up to the employer?
    Many thanks ! 
    You posted early in the morning, so hopefully the money was in your account during the course of the day.

Payday on a Saturday etc - what does your contract say?
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we authorise salary payments before 3 pm, they reach accounts the same day, but obviously not until after we've authorised them. 

If we authorise them AFTER 3 pm, they arrive at some point the following morning.

So unless you know how this payment and authorisation works with your company, you have no idea whether the money is actually late or not. 
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!