Diary of a reformed shopaholic (I hope)

Options

Comments

• WhySeaEm
    WhySeaEm Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    I have a spreadsheet which I love, it keeps me organised! 

I also love Costco and just wish I had a bigger freezer so I could take advantage of the meat offers. Their steak is amazing!
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How ironic so many of us are in finance based jobs but are all posting here because of debt 😂  I'm a credit controller and currently studying for my CICM Level 3 Diploma. It's Accounting Principles this module.

Naomim
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • shoppingobsessed2020
    shoppingobsessed2020 Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 May 2020 at 9:21PM
    Options
    Oh dear, it’s been a while,  no unnecessary spending which is a bonus, but had a health relapse.  My tummy is not very happy with me and it’s shown itself by making me very poorly.  My food bill has gone over, but medically needed as I’ve literally been on protein shakes and protein water as I’ve not been able to tolerate any food for the past 2 days.  

I’m approx £50 over my food budget at the moment and have enough protein shakes in to keep me going for the next week.  Need to look and do a bulk order as at the moment I’ve been drinking 4/5 weetabix shakes a day but they are now back to full price and I refuse to pay full price but may not actually have a choice going forward.  

so the good points I got the fluid card and have set it up, need to do the balance transfer.  I have a limit of £600 on that card and a 9 month interest free transfer offer.  I haven’t yet done my spreadsheet but am going to have to leave it for now as I don’t have the energy or concentration to do it.  Tomorrow I’m going to call and do a transfer from the Debenhams card to the fluid card.  No idea how much interest it will save but it will save a small amount at the very least which is better in my pocket.

In other news I have only used the dryer once in the past couple of weeks and have cut the grass myself so’s another saving of £25 for the Gardner,  the downside is my fence between me and my neighbour has come down and needs replaced.  Waiting on a quote but my neighbour is going half so hopefully won’t be too bad.  It will put clearing a credit card about a month behind but that can’t be helped.
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope you start to feel better soon.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • monkey62
    monkey62 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hey, hope you feel better soon. There's always something to spend money on, just when you think you're at the finish line... like you say though, one month behind is nothing   :)
  • shoppingobsessed2020
    Options
    Still awaiting the quote from the handyman to do the fence, but in other news I’ve saved another £25 by cutting the grass myself today, I’ve also saved £80 by valeting both cars myself today and I’ve saved god knows how much by paining the front fence myself rather than paying the handyman!  Being child free and bored usually means I spend money but at the moment I’m saving money.  Never would have thought it.

i did spend some money today, but I’m ok with that that, £20 on flowers,  chocolate and a card for husbands gran.  I took it out of the joint account so will need to jig slightly to cover that but It’s a cut back spend, as usually would have been a £40 meal out  plus £40/50 on a present.  Instead I got her a box of my fav chocolate, a box of money boy favourite chocolate and a box of his lordships favourite chocolate and she was just happy to see someone.  Spent a good hour socially distance chatting as she needed the company.  

Still haven’t done he balance transfer on the fluid card.  Really need to get my finger out and do that.  I’m still not great food wise and can’t tolerate food despite trying daily.  Anything thicker than a milkshake type drink doesn’t go down at all.  Going to have to stock up on what I can tolerate and go from there as if I don’t get the nutrition in (surgeon is more concerned with me hitting a protein target than eating) then I’m going to look at being peg fed which I really don’t want to do.  

I feel like I’m just treading water waiting for the next pay day to happen so I can do something as annoying as it is I’m on the best tariffs for things and do switch regularly kinda feel in a rut waiting for the next payday so I can pay something off or close an account.  It will get better but I feel I’m now in a holding pattern of don’t spend money, but on the bright side I’ve saved £130 just by doing the cars and 2 garden cuts myself this week so it’s not adding to the debt.  There is money aside for cars, presents, home insurance etc starting to build so we are getting there.  Dh isn’t on board with low spends, he wants to buy more gym equipment for his man cave when he is next home.  He’s after a rowing machine, a bike and some weights.  I’m hoping that I can hold him off until he gets promotion and then he can have a month to do whatever with the extra money and we can go back to blasting off everything.
  • shoppingobsessed2020
    Options
    Back after a couple weeks away.  Lost of diaries to catch up on!  had a blah few moments and needed to pull my finger out and get over myself so pity party has been had and back to it.  Still plodding along not really doing much finance wise, still awaiting the handyman quote as he’s mega busy but he’s worth waiting for.

I have had a couple of skincare splurges!  To be honest I don’t actually care that I spent the money as it’s been a rubbish couple of weeks with a pity party and it cheered me up.  The plus side I’ve not gone over budget and  I’ve not used a credit card.  I actually put my
    milage claim in for the past few months and it paid for it!  

I’d like to celebrate and say I’ve paid another card off.  The very account has gone today and I’ve still not done the fluid card transfer.  I’ve actually misplaced the card so going to close that, the very and the capital one card this weekend.  I’m hoping
    by Christmas my credit will have recovered enough to get a decent transfer rate or a decent loan rate to refinance some of the debt in dh name.  I doubt it but can hope. 

monkey boy is still happily with my parents.  He wants me to buy a hot tub and he wants to bring one of the dogs home with him when he does come home.  It’s a no on both fronts for now which he isnt pleased about. 

I have a pension for monkey boy and it’s dropped 20% in value in the last 6 months.  I’m actually pondering if it’s better to throw some more money at it now whilst the unit price is so low.  Yes I know that’s totally backwards and against all common sense but that is my thought process!  I’m actually really pleased we have a pension for him as it shows how volatile the market is, I know they are long term investments but I can imagine how difficult it must be for those that are older seeing the value drop that dramatically.  He’s at least got another 50yrs ahead of him I hope before he thinks about retiring so we have time to weather this storm.  

Best go update my signature and see how much more I’ve got to pay off!

• Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good to see you back and that your splurge didn't go on a credit card. :mrgreen:
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,686 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sorry about your health issues and glad you are managing to pay off the cards gradually. I am sorry your DH is not on board with the low spends and is still pestering for stuff. Does he really not worry about the amount of debt you have and the monthly repayments? £1500 just on credit cards etc and almost £700 on secured loans comes to almost half his salary even without the mortgage?  

Whilst I admire your foresight in paying into a pension for your son I think repaying the debt should take priority over investing further for him. Our investments have gone back up again from the drop in March but we are invested in cautious/low risk funds and have DB pensions. What is the situation for pensions for you and your OH? 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lovely to see you posting again. At least you recognised the splurge for what it was, no credit card used which is a huge plus. 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure