Child Support through Coronavirus 50% access - Advice -

I've never actually posted to a forum in my life, so here goes.... 
So I'm a Dad of an 8 year year old boy.  I split with his mum when he was 6 months old so immediately set up my own business to gain as much access as possible.  He's at mine for 6 nights out of 14 normally and I've always paid a very fair maintenance to his mum, based on my income.  (most months overpaid according to the CSA payment online guidance tool).
During the coronavirus outbreak, my income has literally fallen off the side of a cliff.  My son's mother is still working full time from home.
During the coronavirus outbreak, my son has been living with me for exactly 3.5 days a week. i.e. 50% of the time.   Up from 6 nights per fortnight to 7 nights per fortnight.
I am homeschooling him, whilst trying my hardest to make ends meet.  I'm into my overdraft and doing everything I can.
I had thought that it would be logical, as he's not at school and in my home during these 3.5 days a week that whilst I am feeding him etc that childcare payments would not need to be made?   Am I missing out on something??   She's hell bent on sending me back to the CSA website and make a reduced payment from £300 to £50 based on my income of £800 last month....  she's earning over 40k and is on full pay whilst working from home.  It will work out that during April, he will have spent more than 50% of the time at my house, as a result of how many days in the month etc.    It seems incredibly unfair, as a father who buys clothes, pays for half the extra curricular activities etc that now, when I have next to no money at all I've to go onto the CSA website and give up what little I (don't) have.

Seems I am being forced to completely stop all freelance work all together, and beg for support from finance companies for payment holidays etc (so far I've not received any help at all).  i.e. claim my new income as zero, before she feels entitled to anything.    We've always been adult during our conversations about my son, I don't care for paying a little more as it's for his good.  But surely, the CSA website is assuming that the child is at school etc, and so the guide for 'number of nights child spends at your home in a week/month etc' is somewhat null and void and inaccurate as I'm actively spending more time homeschooling him that she is (as she has her work commitments).   

Any advise please?  I'm somewhat clueless and it's now beginning to play its part on my mental health.  Am I being unreasonable?  Am I missing something obvious?   What seems like logic, doesn't seem to fit.    Would love some advice.  Sorry about the long post.   Thanks.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Based on your figured the CMS calculator says £7 a week (the minimum) where does £50 come from?
  • Indeed Comms69.   And thanks for the response.  My new income this month is Zero.   But I'm still curios why I owe anything this month when child care (and home schooling) has been split exactly down the middle.  15 full days each out of 30.   I am supporting my child to be at mums.... where's mine?  She gets tax credits.   I don't.  Unfathomable.  Anyway.  Stay safe.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You are entitled to benefits, which is where £7 comes from. Make sure you claim.

But i agree that the system is flawed
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    She won't be  getting tax credits with an income of over 40k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business