Working from home tax relief

Options
Hi there, 
I am a field service engineer for a photocopier company. 
Although predominantly working out at customers sites, my home is classed as my office (which allows me to claim business miles to and from my house) and as such there is a certain amount of work I undertake at home.

I have to charge my company laptops and phone every night as well as pick up my calls for the day in the morning and close down calls when I get home in the evening. As well as the occasional online training that I do. 

I put a claim in for working from home tax relief and it was rejected, does anyone think this is worth appealing? Do I do enough at home to class as a home office?

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would be regarded as a mobile worker, you start from home and travel to your clients. I don't think there is any taxable help for mobile workers.
  • oldbikebloke
    oldbikebloke Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    what reason did "they" give for rejecting the claim and how much did you claim? We ain't mind readers.

no idea what a "mobile worker" is? In my view your contract of employment requires you to work "from" home, you have no other permanent place of employment, so you should be entitled to use of home.
  • Magice2648
    Options
    what reason did "they" give for rejecting the claim and how much did you claim? We ain't mind readers.

no idea what a "mobile worker" is? In my view your contract of employment requires you to work "from" home, you have no other permanent place of employment, so you should be entitled to use of home.
    They just listed the criteria in a letter:
    One that each and every employee would have to incur in that employment
    Necessary for you to incur the expense
    Incurred and paid
    Incurred wholy and exclusively as part of the duties of the employment. 

Then said that my claim did not meet all of the above conditions. 

I claimed the maximum amount that I believed could be claimed without having to evidence it, which is £4 per week x 52.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    You'll probably be classed as an "occassional" home worker, I've been one for years, I'm only starting claiming now since being forced to work at home full time. The cost of charging a laptop & phone is likely to be under 5p.

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think this page might explain their rejection:
    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim32760

Particularly:
     HMRC accept that those conditions are met where the following circumstances apply:

• the duties that the employee performs at home are substantive duties of the employment. “Substantive duties” are duties that an employee has to carry out and that represent all or part of the central duties of the employment (see EIM32780)
    • those duties cannot be performed without the use of appropriate facilities
    • no such appropriate facilities are available to the employee on the employer’s premises (or the nature of the job requires the employee to live so far from the employer’s premises that it is unreasonable to expect him or her to travel to those premises on a daily basis)
    • at no time either before or after the employment contract is drawn up is the employee able to choose between working at the employer’s premises or elsewhere.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • InMyDreams
    InMyDreams Posts: 893 Forumite
    Options
    Incurred and paid

I claimed the maximum amount that I believed could be claimed without having to evidence it, which is £4 per week x 52.
    Who is ‘they’ who have rejected you? What have you tried to claim and from whom? This sounds like it might be an employer’s reason for rejecting a £4/week expense claim rather than HMRC rejecting the tax relief.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Incurred and paid

Who is ‘they’ who have rejected you? What have you tried to claim and from whom? This sounds like it might be an employer’s reason for rejecting a £4/week expense claim rather than HMRC rejecting the tax relief.
    As the op referred to "tax relief" it is assumed HMRC refused the claim 
  • InMyDreams
    InMyDreams Posts: 893 Forumite
    Options
    As the op referred to "tax relief" it is assumed HMRC refused the claim 
    Indeed. I was just wondering if that was a safe assumption, given how confused people often are by what tax relief actually means.
  • Magice2648
    Options
    Apologies, it is indeed HMRC that have rejected the claim. I claimed the maximum amount I was told I could claim without having to provide documentation to justify it (£4 per week x 52).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback