Npower advice

Options
I have significant arrears with Npower for gas & electric which I included in my BR application, which was approved this week.
I'm wondering what is best to do next...
I am on the most basic of tariffs they do as I never switched when we moved in in October (ill health, bereavement... I'm usually better than that) but now I can't switch to another company due to the debt with Npower (they have put an "objection" when I tried). They won't switch me to a better tariff (they say I'm on the best tariff they can change me to, other than online tariffs which reject me due to the arrears), they can't arrange a prepayment meter as they are not installing them due to COVID-19 restrictions and their insolvency department aren't working for the same reason. StepChange have advised me to change supplier/tariff and said the energy company is obliged to help me make my energy costs as affordable as possible, but I'm left with no option but stay on their expensive tariff.
Any advice or do I need to suck it up and wait?

Thanks

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would imagine it takes a few days from them being notified of the bankruptcy in normal times. If their insolvency department is closed due to covid this will mean delays. I would make sure to submit a meter reading (so they know what usage was pre and post bankruptcy), and leave it for a month, if nothings changed by then make an official compliant
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure