Pay off mortgage completely now?

Options
We are lucky enough to have received an inheritance which covers the outstanding amount on our mortgage and leaves an emergency buffer of £10K over.  We had been hoping to pay for a downstairs extension (budget: £25K) out of the inheritance but in the current unsettled situation, it is unlikely that this project will get off the ground for at least another year.  Does it make sense to pay off the whole mortgage now and then remortgage next year sometime when we can start to hopefully think about an extension again? 

Comments

• Throwaway1
    Throwaway1 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would think it would depend on what you think interest rates are likely to be next year, compared to what your current rates are. Also factor in the cost of any admin fees, having to get the house revalued, the time it takes to get a new mortgage etc. all of which you don't have if you just stay on your current deal. I don't think I'd bother if you are going to have to remortgage in only a year's time (unless your current deal is awful and you don't have any early repayment charges to worry about).
    MFW - OP 10% each year to clear mortgage in 10 years!
    2019: £16,125/£16,125
    2020: £14,172.64/£14,172.64
    2021: £12,333.62/£12,333.62
    2022: £10,626.55/£10,626.55
    2023: switched tactics to saving in a higher interest rate account than mortgage interest rate
    2024: mortgage neutral!
  • Sobchak
    Sobchak Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your insight.  We are coming to the end of our current mortgage deal and so have no early repayment charges to consider but hadn't thought about the faff of getting the house revalued etc. and the admin costs involved in that.  We were hesitant to keep £30K sitting in a savings account when it could have been going towards bringing the mortgage payments but hesitant as well to plunge the whole lot into the mortgage!  With the current situation, it seems likely that interest rates will remain low.  If we did continue with the mortgage payments, albeit reduced, we would be looking at 1.69% for a 3 year fixed term for our next mortgage.  It is unlikely that we would find any savings accounts with that kind of return. 
  • Sobchak
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your post.  £148K inheritance.  £138K mortgage.  No other debts to pay off.
  • Bizzywizard
    Bizzywizard Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Personally, I would pay off the mortgage. Because of the current covid situation...no ones job is completely safe. Plus the bank will only guarentee up to £85k. Good luck!
  • Greenglockenspiel
    Options
    I agree with Bizzywizard - I would be uncomfortable having more money than the FSCS limit just sat around. I'd pay off the mortgage and then save up for the extension as normal, with the aim to not need a remortgage or look at personal loans instead.
    Original mortgage free date: November 2044
    Current mortgage free date: November 2038
    Chipping away...
  • Sobchak
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  Have decided to take the plunge and pay it all off in one go.  Thanks for the heads-up about the FSCS though - hadn't thought about that at all.
  • Sobchak
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you Mickey666 - yes, intending to get a savings account set up with a direct debit of what the mortgage payments would have been.  If it went straight into the current account, I'm sure it would soon get spent in Tesco or somewhere and there'd be nothing to show for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure