PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing bread

Hi! Can anyone tell me how long sliced white bread should last after it has been taken out of the freezer and defrosted? I've noticed that a weird chemically/alcoholly smell develops in it sometimes after a couple of days. Is this normal??

Comments

• I freeze bread, and I haven't ever noticed a chemical smell. The defrosted bread normally lasts us as long as it takes to use up the loaf - about 3 or 4 days.
    Enjoying the power and freedom of letting things go.

Decluttering - January 2024 - 89 physical objects, over 700 emails/digital decluttering 🎊 🏅🏅
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I bag mine up into 2 and 4 slice bags and then freeze. That way I just take out the bit I need and never waste any ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Hmm, sounds like it's not normal for it to develop the smell then. I wonder if it's because it's being left in the original packaging -what do you think?

It is a certain member of my household who does this, (who is really difficult to train) -he always takes out way too much bread -I'm talking like a whole loaf!- and just leaves it in the original bag on the draining board to defrost. Argh! ;)
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I freeze bread by the loaf and have never noticed anything strange after defrosting, it could be the type of bread maybe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure